Alloway Parish Church


Gothic style church situated on the east side of the B 7024 and north of the Brig o’ Doon Hotel. Rectangular in plan with transepts. The Belfry at the west end, stands to about 22 metres.
The interior is notable for exceptional stained glass windows by Keir and Clayton & Bell.
Built in 1858 to a design by Campbell Douglas it was altered in 1890 by J MacVicar Anderson.

******
Bei der Alloway Parish Church handelt es sich um eine gotische Kirche auf der Ost-Seite der B 7024 und nördlich des Brig o ‘Doon Hotels. Die Kirche ist rechteckig und verfügt über mehrere Querschiffe. Der Glockenturm an ihrem westlichen Ende misst 22 Meter in der Höhe.
Das Interieur zeichnet sich durch außergewöhnliche Glasfenster von Keir und Clayton & Bell aus.
Die Alloway Parish Church wurde im Jahre 1858 nach einem Entwurf von Campbell Douglas erbaut und 1890 von J. MacVicar Anderson geändert.

Advertisements

Balvenie Castle (Scotland 2012)


Balvenie Castle is a ruined castle near Dufftown in the Moray region of Scotland.

Originally known as Mortlach, it was built in the 12th century by a branch of the powerful Comyn family (the Black Comyns) and extended and altered in the 15th and 16th centuries.

Today, the remains of the castle are managed by Historic Scotland; however, ownership continues in private hands. The current owner is Jeremy Duncan Nicholson, Baron of Balvenie, who resides in Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. The castle is open to the public from the beginning of April to the end of September. Balvenie whisky is produced by William Grant & Sons at the Balvenie distillery down the hill from the castle.

******

Balvenie Castle ist eine Burgruine am Rand von Dufftown in der Region Moray. Sie zählt zu den ältesten steinernen Burgen in Schottland.
Die Burg wurde in der zweiten Hälfte des 12. Jahrhunderts, wahrscheinlich durch William Comyn oder seinen Sohn Alexander errichtet. Aus dieser Zeit stammt noch die heute erhaltene Ringmauer. 1304 wird das „Castle of Mortlach“, eine ältere und an die benachbarte Kirchengemeinde angelehnte Bezeichnung, von König Eduard I. offiziell an John Comyn, 7. Earl of Buchan überschrieben

Arbroath Abbey (Scotland 2011)


Arbroath Abbey 01

Arbroath Abbey 02

Arbroath Abbey 03

Arbroath Abbey was founded in 1178 by King William the Lion for a group of Tironensian Benedictine monks from Kelso Abbey. It was consecrated in 1197 with a dedication to the deceased Saint Thomas Becket, whom the king had met at the English court.
The last Abbot was Cardinal David Beaton, who in 1522 succeeded his uncle James to become Archbishop of St Andrews.
King William gave the Abbey independence from its mother church and endowed it generously, including income from 24 parishes, land in every royal burgh and more. The Abbey’s monks were allowed to run a market and build a harbour.
The Abbey, which was the richest in Scotland, is most famous for its association with the 1320 Declaration of Scottish Independence believed to have been drafted by Abbot Bernard, who was the Chancellor of Scotland under King Robert I.

******

Der schottische König William, auch genannt der Löwe, gründete 1178 die Abtei, die damals noch eine Cluniazenser-Priorei war. Deren Errichtung geschah in Folge des Mordes an Thomas Beckett, der angeblich durch Heinrich II. von England in Canterbury den Tod gefunden haben soll.
1285 wurde Arbroath Priory in den Stand einer Abtei erhoben. Im Jahr 1320 fand hier einer der größten Augenblicke der schottischen Geschichte stand: Die Unterzeichnung der schottischen Unabhängigkeitserklärung, auch bekannt als „Declaration of Arbroath“. Es handelte sich dabei um einen Brief des schottischen Adels an den Papst in Rom, in dem Robert Bruce als König bestimmt wurde. Eine Kopie dieser Schriftrolle befindet sich heute in dem zur Abtei gehörenden Museum.

Loch Lochy (Scotland 2010)


Loch Lochy (Scottish Gaelic, Loch Lòchaidh) is a large freshwater loch in Lochaber.
Located 16 kilometres southwest of Loch Ness along the Great Glen, the loch is over 15 kilometres long. The River Lochy flows from its southwestern end while the Caledonian Canal links its northeastern extent to Loch Oich.
The Battle of the Shirts was fought at its northern end near Laggan in July 1544, between Clan Donald and Clan Fraser.

******

Loch Lochy (im schottischen Gälisch Loch Lochaidh) ist ein großer Süßwassersee in Schottland. Er ist über 16 Kilometer lang und liegt etwa 16 Kilometer südwestlich von Loch Ness im Great Glen. Der Fluss Lochy fließt südwestlich aus dem See heraus, während der Kaledonische Kanal im Nordosten den See mit Loch Oich verbindet.

Claypotts Castle (Scotland 2009)


Claypotts Castle is a late medieval castle in the suburban West Ferry area of Dundee, Scotland. It is one of the best-preserved examples of a 16th-century ‘Z-plan’ tower house in Scotland. Now surrounded by modern housing, the castle is maintained as an Ancient Monument by Historic Scotland. At present, it is open to the public on only a small number of days each year.

******

Claypotts Castle ist z-förmig angelegt und verfügt über mehrere Treppengiebel.
Die Anlage stammt aus dem späten 16. Jh.
Die seitlichen Türme sind rund und haben eckige Dächer.
In den Winkeln zwischen diesen beiden Türmen und dem Hauptturm befinden sich zwei weitere kleinere Treppentürme.
Die Räume im Inneren der runden Türme sind rechteckig.
Claypotts Castle war der Wohnsitz von Bonnie Dundee.

Glen Lyon (2007)


Glen Lyon 200701

Glen Lyon 200702

Das Glen Lyon (gälisch Gleann Lìomhann) ist ein Tal in der Region Perth & Kinross.
Das weitgehend in West-Ost-Richtung verlaufende Tal wird vom River Lyon durchflossen, der am östlichen Talende nördlich von Kenmore in den Tay mündet. Mit über 50 Kilometern Länge ist Glen Lyon eines der längsten schottischen Bergtäler. Es weist mit dem Tal des Allt Conait lediglich ein größeres, orographisch auf der linken Talseite einmündendes Seitental auf. Die übrigen Seitentäler sind deutlich kürzer.
Auf beiden Seiten ist das Tal durch Bergketten begrenzt, die teilweise über 1000 Meter hohe Gipfel aufweisen. Insgesamt sind rund um das Tal gut ein Dutzend Gipfel als Munros eingeordnet, weitere Munros sind oberhalb von Seitentälern zu finden.

******

Glen Lyon (Scottish Gaelic: Gleann Lìomhann) is a glen in the Perth and Kinross region of Scotland. It is the longest enclosed glen in Scotland and runs for 34 miles from Loch Lyon in the west to the village of Fortingall in the east. This glen was also known as “An Crom Ghleann”, (the bent glen). The land given over to the MacGregors was Scottish Gaelic: An Tòiseachd.