Cathedrals


St. Mungo’s Cathedral

St. Mungo's Cathedral

St. Mungo’s Cathedral ist die Glasgower Kathedrale. Sie wird auch High Kirk of Glasgow genannt. Sie gehört zur reformierten Church of Scotland. Das Gebäude gehört der Krone, wobei sich Historic Scotland um das Gebäude kümmert.
Die Kathedrale geht auf den Glasgower Schutzpatron St. Mungo zurück, dessen Grab sich in der Krypta der Kirche befindet. Der jetzige gotische Bau ist zwischen dem 13. und dem 15. Jahrhundert entstanden. Die Kirche war Sitz der Bischöfe und später der Erzbischöfe von Glasgow. Seit dem Jahre 1690 war die Kathedrale nicht mehr Sitz eines Bischofs. Die Bezeichnung als Kathedrale ist seitdem ein historischer Ehrentitel, und deutet auf die ursprüngliche Funktion als römisch-katholische Bistumskirche des Erzbistums Glasgow (heute ist dies die St. Andrew’s Kathedrale).
Die im Jahre 1124 gegründete Chorschule der St. Mungo’s Cathedral, die 1834 in High School of Glasgow umbenannt wurde und heute noch Schüler unterrichtet, ist die älteste Schule Schottlands.
Östlich der Kathedrale liegt der Hauptfriedhof „Glasgow Necropolis“ auf einem Hügel.

******

Glasgow Cathedral, also called the High Kirk of Glasgow or St Kentigern’s or St Mungo’s Cathedral, is today a gathering of the Church of Scotland in Glasgow.
The title cathedral is honorific and historic, dating from the period before the Scottish Reformation and its former status as the Roman Catholic mother church of the Archdiocese of Glasgow and the cathedra of the Archbishop of Glasgow (which is now in St. Andrew’s Cathedral, the present mother church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Glasgow). The current congregation is part of the Church of Scotland’s Presbytery of Glasgow. Glasgow Cathedral is located north of High Street and east of Cathedral Street, beside the Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

St. Giles’ Cathedral

St. Giles' Cathedral

St Giles’ Cathedral, more properly termed the High Kirk of Edinburgh, is the principal place of worship of the Church of Scotland in Edinburgh. Its distinctive crown steeple is a prominent feature of the city skyline, at about a third of the way down the Royal Mile which runs from the Castle to Holyrood Palace. The church has been one of Edinburgh’s religious focal points for approximately 900 years. The present church dates from the late 14th century, though it was extensively restored in the 19th century, and is protected as a category A listed building.[1] Today it is sometimes regarded as the “Mother Church of Presbyterianism”.[2] The cathedral is dedicated to Saint Giles, who is the patron saint of Edinburgh,[3] as well as of cripples and lepers, and was a very popular saint in the Middle Ages. It is the Church of Scotland parish church for part of Edinburgh’s Old Town.

St Giles’ was only a cathedral in its formal sense (i.e. the seat of a bishop) for two periods during the 17th century (1635–1638 and 1661–1689), when episcopalianism, backed by the Crown, briefly gained ascendancy within the Kirk (see Bishops’ Wars). In the mediaeval period, prior to the Reformation, Edinburgh had no cathedral as the royal burgh was part of the Diocese of St Andrews, under the Bishop of St Andrews whose episcopal seat was St Andrew’s Cathedral. For most of its post-Reformation history the Church of Scotland has not had bishops, dioceses, or cathedrals. As such, the use of the term cathedral today carries no practical meaning. The “High Kirk” title is older, being attested well before the building’s brief period as a cathedral.

******

Die einstige Kathedrale St Giles’ Cathedral, auch High Kirk of Edinburgh, ist die Hauptkirche der Church of Scotland und eine der bedeutendsten Sehenswürdigkeiten der Stadt Edinburgh in Schottland. Sie befindet sich an der als Royal Mile bekannten Hauptachse der Altstadt rund 500 Meter östlich vom Edinburgh Castle.

Dunblane Cathedral

Dunblane Cathedral

Dunblane Cathedral is the larger of the two Church of Scotland parish churches serving Dunblane, near the city of Stirling, in central Scotland.

The lower half of the tower is pre-Romanesque from the 11th century, and originally free-standing (like the closely similar example at Muthill), with an upper part added in the 15th century (the change in masonry is very obvious). Most of the rest of the building is Gothic, from the 13th century. The building was restored by Rowand Anderson in 1889-93.

******

Das Gotteshaus ist heute keine Kathedralkirche mehr, sondern stellt die größere von zwei Pfarrkirchen der Church of Scotland in Dunblane dar. Bis zur Schottischen Reformation war sie Sitz eines römisch-katholischen Bischofs. William Chisholme, bis 1561 der letzte Bischof von Dunblane wurde später Bischof von Vaison in Frankreich. Im Gefolge der Reformation wurde das Hauptschiff der Kathedrale verwüstet und zur Ruine. Das Dach stürzte 1622 ein und Gottesdienste fanden nur mehr im Chorbereich statt. 1816 führte Architekt James Gillespie Graham eine kleinere Renovierung durch. 1889-93 kam es jedoch aus Gründen der Kapazitätserweiterung zu einer umfassenden neugotischen Rekonstruktion der Kathedrale unter der Leitung von Robert Rowan Anderson, die das Hauptschiff wieder benützbar machte. Das aufwändige Chorgestühl stammt aus 1912-14. Margaret Drummond eine Geliebte von König James IV. und ihre zwei Schwestern liegen hier begraben. Das Gebäude steht im Eigentum der britischen Krone und wird von Historic Scotland betreut. Die Kirche dient auch als Gedenkstätte für die Opfer des 1996 von einem Amokläufer an 16 Kindern angerichteten Massakers von Dunblane.

Dunkeld Cathedral

Dunkeld Cathedral

Dunkeld Cathedral stands on the north bank of the River Tay in Dunkeld, Perth and Kinross, Scotland. Built in square-stone style of predominantly grey sandstone, the cathedral proper was begun in 1260 and completed in 1501. It stands on the site of the former Culdee Monastery of Dunkeld, stones from which can be seen as an irregular reddish streak in the eastern gable.

Elgin Cathedral

Elgin Cathedral

Elgin Cathedral is a historic ruin in Elgin, Moray, north-east Scotland. The cathedral, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was established in 1224 on land granted by King Alexander II outside the burgh of Elgin and close to the River Lossie. It replaced the cathedral at Spynie, 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) to the north, that was served by a small chapter of eight clerics. The new and bigger cathedral was staffed with 18 canons in 1226 and then increased to 23 by 1242. After a damaging fire in 1270, a rebuilding programme greatly enlarged the building. It was unaffected by the Wars of Scottish Independence but again suffered extensive fire damage in 1390 following an attack by Robert III’s brother Alexander Stewart, Earl of Buchan, also known as the Wolf of Badenoch. In 1402 the cathedral precinct again suffered an incendiary attack by the followers of the Lord of the Isles. The number of clerics required to staff the cathedral continued to grow, as did the number of craftsmen needed to maintain the buildings and surrounds. The number of canons had increased to 25 by the time of the Scottish Reformation in 1560, when the cathedral was abandoned and its services transferred to Elgin’s parish church of St Giles. After the removal of the lead that waterproofed the roof in 1567, the cathedral steadily fell into decay. Its deterioration was arrested in the 19th century, by which time the building was in a substantially ruinous condition.

The cathedral went through periods of enlargement and renovation following the fires of 1270 and 1390 that included the doubling in length of the choir, the provision of outer aisles to the northern and southern walls of both the nave and choir. Today, these walls are at full height in places and at foundation level in others yet the overall cruciform shape is still discernible. A mostly intact octagonal chapter house dates from the major enlargement after the fire of 1270. The gable wall above the double door entrance that links the west towers is nearly complete and was rebuilt following the fire of 1390. It accommodates a large window opening that now only contains stub tracery work and fragments of a large rose window. Recessed and chest tombs in both transepts and in the south aisle of the choir contain effigies of bishops and knights, and large flat slabs in the now grass-covered floor of the cathedral mark the positions of early graves. The homes of the dignitaries and canons, or manses, stood in the chanonry and were destroyed by fire on three occasions: in 1270, 1390 and 1402. The two towers of the west front are mostly complete and were part of the first phase of construction. Only the precentor’s manse is substantially intact; two others have been incorporated into private buildings. A protective wall of massive proportions surrounded the cathedral precinct, but only a small section has survived. The wall had four access gates, one of which—the Pans Port—still exists.

******

Bis zur Zeit der Reformation war Elgin eine bedeutende Bischofsstadt. Die 1224 gegründete Kathedrale wurde im Volksmund „die Leuchte des Nordens“ (The Lantern of the North) genannt und war damals die größte Kathedrale Schottlands. Sie wurde in den Wirren der Reformation zerstört, auch wenn noch bedeutende Reste erhalten sind. Das dazugehörige Kapitelhaus ist besser erhalten.

St. Andrews Cathedral

St. Andrews Cathedral

St. Andrews Cathedral

St. Andrews Cathedral

St. Andrews Cathedral

The Cathedral of St Andrew (often referred to as St Andrews Cathedral) is a ruined Roman Catholic cathedral in St Andrews, Fife, Scotland. It was built in 1158 and became the centre of the Medieval Catholic Church in Scotland as the seat of the Archdiocese of St Andrews and the Bishops and Archbishops of St Andrews. It fell into disuse and ruin after Catholic mass was outlawed during the 16th-century Scottish Reformation. It is currently a monument in the custody of Historic Scotland. The ruins indicate that the building was approximately 391 feet (over 100 metres) long, and is the largest church to have been built in Scotland.

******

Unweit des St. Andrews Castles befinden sich, an der Nordsee gelegen, die Ruinen der Kathedrale von St. Andrews.
Durch zwei Bogengänge hindurch gelangt man auf das Gelände der Kathedrale.
Die einst größte Kirche Schottlands wurde in der Zeit von 1160 bis 1328 errichtet.
Initiator des Bauvorhabens war Bischof Arnold, der sich im Jahr 1160 dafür stark machte, dass in St. Andrews endlich eine große Kirche entstehen konnte.
Die Kathedrale war vor ihrer Zerstörung über 100 m lang und fast 50 m breit. Daran ist ersichtlich warum sich ihre Errichtung über beinahe 200 Jahre erstreckte.
Bei der Einweihung der Kathedrale im Jahr 1328 soll schriftlichen Überlieferungen zufolge, sogar Robert Bruce dabei gewesen sein.
Im Juni des Jahres 1538 wurden hier James V. und Marie von Guise getraut. Eine Verbindung, die Schottland mit Frankreich einte. Das war ein großer Vorteil, zumal man sich im 16. Jahrhundert auch mit Invasionsplänen befasste, die sich gegen England und dessen König Heinrich VIII. richteten.
1559 – also nur knapp 20 Jahre später – wurde die Kathedrale im Frühsommer von Anhängern des fanatischen Reformators John Knox zerstört.
Sie verfiel in der Folgezeit immer mehr und wurde lange Zeit als Steinbruch genutzt.
Fast vollständig erhalten geblieben, sind lediglich zwei Teile: ein großes Stückes der Ostfront, das von mehreren kleinen Fenster durchbrochen ist, und ein Teil der Westfront.

4 thoughts on “Cathedrals

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s