Loch Lochy (Scotland 2010)


Loch Lochy (Scottish Gaelic, Loch Lòchaidh) is a large freshwater loch in Lochaber.
Located 16 kilometres southwest of Loch Ness along the Great Glen, the loch is over 15 kilometres long. The River Lochy flows from its southwestern end while the Caledonian Canal links its northeastern extent to Loch Oich.
The Battle of the Shirts was fought at its northern end near Laggan in July 1544, between Clan Donald and Clan Fraser.

******

Loch Lochy (im schottischen Gälisch Loch Lochaidh) ist ein großer Süßwassersee in Schottland. Er ist über 16 Kilometer lang und liegt etwa 16 Kilometer südwestlich von Loch Ness im Great Glen. Der Fluss Lochy fließt südwestlich aus dem See heraus, während der Kaledonische Kanal im Nordosten den See mit Loch Oich verbindet.

Advertisements

The Hills of Glenfinnan (Scotland 2008)


The Hills of Glenifnnan

Glenfinnan (Scottish Gaelic: Gleann Fhionghain) is a village in Lochaber area of the Highlands of Scotland. In 1745 the Jacobite Rising began here when Prince Charles Edward Stuart (“Bonnie Prince Charlie”) raised his standard on the shores of Loch Shiel. Seventy years later the 18-metre-high (60 ft) Glenfinnan Monument – at the head of the loch – was erected to commemorate the historic event.

*******

Glenfinnan (aus dem schottisch-gälischen Gleann Fhionnainn) ist ein kleines Dorf in den schottischen Highlands. Es liegt am Nordrand von Loch Shiel am Fuße des Glen Finnan.

Glenuig (Scotland 2010)


Glenuig 2010 001

Glenuig 2010 002

Glenuig 2010 003

Glenuig (glen-oo-ig, Scottish Gaelic: Gleann Ùige) is a small village in Moidart, Lochaber, Highland, on the west coast of Scotland. It is around 30 miles west of Fort William and 20 miles from Ardnamurchan Point.
Glenuig is a tiny community of just over thirty folk located in the parish of Moidart in remote west Lochaber. Nowadays it is taken to include the neighbouring settlements of Samalaman and Alt Ruadh, and contains 21 houses in permanent occupation plus four holiday homes. In a wider sense it includes the nearby hamlets of Roshven and Lochailort, bringing the population over a distance of eight miles to just over fifty.
The area has been inhabited for thousands of years and the traces of these earlier residents are everywhere around. The coastal regions here are wild and rocky, but because of the warmer climate within the last two thousand years the inland areas were productive and heavily populated. In the last two hundred years, the population declined through enforced clearances of the glens for sheep and voluntary emigration from the harsher coastal regions to the new colonies, particularly Cape Breton and America