Cutie Dogs


Portencross Castle (Scotland 2013)


Portencross Castle, also known historically as Portincross Castle, is situated in Portencross, on the west coast of Scotland. The site has been fortified since the 13th Century. The present building is thought to date from the 14th Century and later.
The castle was one of the buildings featured in the 2004 series of the BBC television programme Restoration and is the subject of efforts by a local community group to secure its future.

******

Portencross Castle ist eine Burgruine in der schottischen Ortschaft Portencross. Die Ruine befindet sich am Südufer des Firth of Clyde. Das Bauwerk weist einen L-förmigen Grundriss auf. Ungewöhnlich ist, dass der Flügel nicht an die Seite, sondern an das Ende des länglichen Wehrturms angefügt ist. Es existieren zwei Eingangsportale im Erdgeschoss sowie im ersten Obergeschoss. In diesen beiden Stockwerken befinden sich Gewölbe-Hallen.

Alloway Parish Church


Gothic style church situated on the east side of the B 7024 and north of the Brig o’ Doon Hotel. Rectangular in plan with transepts. The Belfry at the west end, stands to about 22 metres.
The interior is notable for exceptional stained glass windows by Keir and Clayton & Bell.
Built in 1858 to a design by Campbell Douglas it was altered in 1890 by J MacVicar Anderson.

******
Bei der Alloway Parish Church handelt es sich um eine gotische Kirche auf der Ost-Seite der B 7024 und nördlich des Brig o ‘Doon Hotels. Die Kirche ist rechteckig und verfügt über mehrere Querschiffe. Der Glockenturm an ihrem westlichen Ende misst 22 Meter in der Höhe.
Das Interieur zeichnet sich durch außergewöhnliche Glasfenster von Keir und Clayton & Bell aus.
Die Alloway Parish Church wurde im Jahre 1858 nach einem Entwurf von Campbell Douglas erbaut und 1890 von J. MacVicar Anderson geändert.

Old Packhorse Bridge


Die Old Packhorse Bridge in Carrbridge ist eine historische Steinbrücke aus dem Jahr 1717. Sie wurde bei einer Flut des Flusses im Jahr 1829 stark beschädigt und darf heute nicht mehr betreten werden.

******

Carrbridge’s most famous landmark is the old packhorse bridge, from which the village is named. The bridge, built in 1717, is the oldest stone bridge in the Highlands. It was severely damaged in the “muckle spate” of 1829 which left it in the condition seen today. It is now unstable and is recommended only to be viewed from afar. Jumping off the bridge into the River Dulnain below had long been a popular pastime for younger locals and the more adventurous tourists.

Balvenie Castle (Scotland 2012)


Balvenie Castle is a ruined castle near Dufftown in the Moray region of Scotland.

Originally known as Mortlach, it was built in the 12th century by a branch of the powerful Comyn family (the Black Comyns) and extended and altered in the 15th and 16th centuries.

Today, the remains of the castle are managed by Historic Scotland; however, ownership continues in private hands. The current owner is Jeremy Duncan Nicholson, Baron of Balvenie, who resides in Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. The castle is open to the public from the beginning of April to the end of September. Balvenie whisky is produced by William Grant & Sons at the Balvenie distillery down the hill from the castle.

******

Balvenie Castle ist eine Burgruine am Rand von Dufftown in der Region Moray. Sie zählt zu den ältesten steinernen Burgen in Schottland.
Die Burg wurde in der zweiten Hälfte des 12. Jahrhunderts, wahrscheinlich durch William Comyn oder seinen Sohn Alexander errichtet. Aus dieser Zeit stammt noch die heute erhaltene Ringmauer. 1304 wird das „Castle of Mortlach“, eine ältere und an die benachbarte Kirchengemeinde angelehnte Bezeichnung, von König Eduard I. offiziell an John Comyn, 7. Earl of Buchan überschrieben