Scotland 2006


Laggan Dam

 

Loch Laggan ist ein See in Lochaber und direkt an der A86 auf der Strecke von Spean Bridge nach Kingussie zu finden. Der See wurde seit 1934 als Wasserreservoir genutzt, weswegen am River Laggan auch der Laggan Dam errichtet wurde, der dem Lochaber Hydro-Electric Scheme zugeordnet ist  Energie aus Wasserkraft produziert.

*******

Laggan Dam is a dam located on the River Spean south west of Loch Laggan in the Scottish Highlands.

 

Glenfinnan Monument

Glenfinnan Monumet 2006 01

Glenfinnan Monument 2006 02

Glenfinnan Monument 2006 03

Glenfinnan Monument, at the head of Loch Shiel, was erected, in 1815, in tribute to the Jacobite clansmen who fought and died in the cause of Prince Charles Edward Stuart.

It was designed by the eminent Scottish architect James Gillespie Graham. The raising of the Prince’s Standard took place at the head of the loch on 19 August, 1745, in the last attempt to reinstate the exiled Stuarts on the throne of Great Britain and Ireland.

Despite its inspired beginnings and subsequent successes, the Prince’s campaign came to its grim conclusion in 1746 on the battlefield at Culloden (see separate entry), also in the care of the National Trust for Scotland.

******

Zur Erinnerung an die stuarttreuen Clans, die für ihren Prinzen Bonnie Prince Charlie’kämpften und starben, wurde im Jahr 1815 das GlenfinnanMonument errichtet.
An der Stelle, an der sich heute das Monument befindet, trafen sich am 19. August 1745 etwa 1.500 Männer der verschiedensten Clans, um zusammen mit dem Prinzen und für Schottlands Freiheit ins Gefecht zu ziehen.
In dem ganz in der nähe gelegenen Visitor Centre kann man in mehreren Sprachen, etwas über die Geschichte des Jakobitenaufstandes erfahren, welcher den Prinzen und seine Männer von Glenfinnan bis nach Derby (England), und dann wieder zurück zur letzten Schlacht nach Culloden führte.

Church of St Mary & St Finnan – Glenfinnan

Glenfinnan Church 2006 001

Glenfinnan Church 2006 002

Glenfinnan Church 2006 003

The church was consecrated in 1873. Designed by E Welby Pugin in the Gothic style, the church enjoys an elevated and commanding position overlooking Loch Shiel with a spectacular view of the loch and surrounding hills. The church is a memorial chapel to the MacDonalds of Glenaladale, the family with whom Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed prior to the raising of the Jacobite standard at Glenfinnan in August 1745. The church contains memorial stones to the Prince and to members of the MacDonald family.

Oban Harbour

Oban Harbour 200601

Oban Harbour 200602

Oban Harbour 200603

Carnasserie Castle

Carnasserie Castle 2006 01

Carnasserie Castle 2006 02

Carnasserie Castle 2006 03

Carnasserie Castle (also spelled Carnassarie) is a ruined 16th-century tower house, noted for its unusual plan and renaissance detailing. It is located around 2km to the north of Kilmartin, in Argyll and Bute.

The castle was built by reforming churchman John Carswell, who was Rector of Kilmartin, Chancellor of the Chapel Royal at Stirling, and later titular Bishop of the Isles. Carswell published the first book to be printed in Scottish Gaelic, a translation of John Knox’s Book of Common Order. Construction began in 1565 using masons brought from Stirling. Although the castle was notionally built for Carswell’s patron, the Earl of Argyll, he intended it as a personal residence for himself.

On Carswell’s death in 1572, the castle passed to his patron, the Earl of Argyll. Later, in 1643, the 8th Earl of Argyll sold Carnasserie to Sir Dugald Campbell, 3rd Baronet of Auchinbreck. Following the 9th Earl’s failed uprising in support of the Monmouth Rebellion, against James VII in 1685, the castle was blown up by Royalist forces. Although the outer walls remain largely undamaged, the ruins were never repaired. In the 19th century the estate was sold to the Malcolms of Poltalloch, who also own nearby Duntrune Castle. Today it is a Scheduled Ancient Monument in the care of Historic Scotland.

******

Carnasserie Castle ist eine Burgruine in der dünnbesiedelten Region im Osten der schottischen Unitary Authority Argyll and Bute. Sie liegt nördlich der Ortschaft Kilmartin abseits der heutigen A816.

Carnasserie Castle wurde in den 1560er Jahren für den protestantischen Bischof John Carswell erbaut. Nach seinem Tode fiel es den Campbells of Auchinbreck zu. 1685 fiel Carnasserie Castle einem Aufstand zum Opfer, in dessen Verlauf es zerstört wurde. Es fiel dann den Campbells of Kilmartin und schließlich um 1830 den Malcolms of Poltalloch zu, wurde jedoch nicht wieder wiederaufgebaut. Im Jahre 1998 wurde die Burgruine einer eingehenden archäologischen Untersuchung unterzogen.

Die Burg wurde im Stile einer mittelalterlichen Festung erbaut, weist jedoch auch Merkmale der Renaissance auf. Das Bruchsteinmauerwerk des dreistöckigen Gebäudes ist zwischen 1,50 m und 1,80 m mächtig. Der Treppenturm, an dem sich auch der Eingang befindet, liegt im Nordwesten des Bauwerks. Ebenerdig befinden sich weite Gewölberäume. Im ersten Obergeschoss sind die Privaträume mit einem verzierten Kamin zu finden. Die einstigen Dächer sind heute eingestürzt. Carnasserie Castle besaß zinnenbewehrte Ecktürme. Die Mauern umgaben einen Innenhof. Die ehemaligen Außengebäude sind heute weitgehend zerstört und nur noch in Fragmenten erhalten.

Kilchurn Castle

Kilchurn Castle 2006 01

Kilchurn Castle 2006 02

Kilchurn Castle 2006 03

Kilchurn Castle 2006 04

Kilchurn Castle is a ruined 15th and 17th century structure on a rocky peninsula at the northeastern end of Loch Awe, in Argyll and Bute, Scotland. Access to the Castle is sometimes restricted by higher-than-usual levels of water in the Loch, at which times the site effectively becomes a temporary island.

It was the ancestral home of the Campbells of Glen Orchy, who later became the Earls of Breadalbane also known as the Breadalbane family branch, of the Clan Campbell. The earliest construction on the castle was the towerhouse and Laich Hall (looks onto Loch Awe).

******

Kilchurn Castle ist eine Burgruine am Nordostufer von Loch Awe in der Region Argyll and Bute in Schottland. Ursprünglich als fünf Stockwerke hohes Tower house errichtet, zeigen sich in der heute noch fast vollständig erhaltenen Burg eine Reihe von Umbauarbeiten aus fast 250 Jahren Geschichte.

Dunstaffnage Castle

Dunstaffnage Castle 2006 01

Dunstaffnage Castle 2006 02

Dunstaffnage Castle 2006 03

Dunstaffnage Castle 2006 04

Dunstaffnage Castle is a partially ruined castle in Argyll and Bute, western Scotland. It lies 3 miles (4.8 km) N.N.E. of Oban, situated on a platform of conglomerate rock on a promontory at the south-west of the entrance to Loch Etive, and is surrounded on three sides by the sea.

The castle dates back to the 13th century, making it one of Scotland’s oldest stone castles, in a local group which includes Castle Sween and Castle Tioram.[1] Guarding a strategic location, it was built by the MacDougall lords of Lorn, and has been held since the 15th century by the Clan Campbell. To this day there is a hereditary Captain of Dunstaffnage, although they no longer reside at the castle. Dunstaffnage is maintained by Historic Scotland, and is open to the public, although the 16th century gatehouse is retained as the private property of the Captain. The prefix dun in the name means “fort” in Gaelic, while the rest of the name derives from Norse stafr-nis, “headland of the staff”.

*******

Dunstaffnage Castle wurde um das Jahr 1220 von Duncan Dubhgall, Sohn des Earls Somerled, auf einer großen Felsplatte mit Blick auf den Firth of Lorne in der schottischen Grafschaft Argyll, als mächtige Festung für den MacDougall-Clan errichtet. 1309 wurde Dunstaffnage von Robert the Bruce eingenommen und blieb etliche Jahre in königlichem Besitz.

Flora MacDonald wurde 1746 nach einem Besuch ihres Bruders in South Uist in Dunstaffnage inhaftiert. Sie verhalf Bonnie Prince Charlie nach dessen Niederlage bei Culloden zur Flucht vor den englischen Truppen, wurde dabei jedoch selbst gefasst. Nach einem Jahr wurde sie nach London in den Tower verbracht, wo sie noch ein weiteres Jahr auf ihre Freilassung warten musste.

Dunstaffnage Castle ist heute eine Ruine, wird jedoch noch immer von guterhaltenen Steinmetzarbeiten geziert. Der Anbau des Schlosses befindet sich in Privatbesitz.

Urquhart Castle

Urquhat Castle 2006 01

Urquhart Caslte 2006 02

Urquhart Caslte 2006 03

Urquhart Caslte 2006 04

Urquhart Castle (Scottish Gaelic: Caisteal na Sròine) sits beside Loch Ness in the Highlands of Scotland. The castle is on the A82 road, 21 kilometres (13 mi) south-west of Inverness and 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) east of the village of Drumnadrochit.

The present ruins date from the 13th to the 16th centuries, though built on the site of an early medieval fortification. Founded in the 13th century, Urquhart played a role in the Wars of Scottish Independence in the 14th century. It was subsequently held as a royal castle, and was raided on several occasions by the MacDonald Earls of Ross. The castle was granted to the Clan Grant in 1509, though conflict with the MacDonalds continued. Despite a series of further raids the castle was strengthened, only to be largely abandoned by the middle of the 17th century. Urquhart was partially destroyed in 1692 to prevent its use by Jacobite forces, and subsequently decayed. In the 20th century it was placed in state care and opened to the public: it is now one of the most-visited castles in Scotland.[1]

The castle, situated on a headland overlooking Loch Ness, is one of the largest in Scotland in area.[2] It was approached from the west and defended by a ditch and drawbridge. The buildings of the castle were laid out around two main enclosures on the shore. The northern enclosure or Nether Bailey includes most of the more intact structures, including the gatehouse, and the five-storey Grant Tower at the north end of the castle. The southern enclosure or Upper Bailey, sited on higher ground, comprises the scant remains of earlier buildings.

******

Urquhart Castle ist eine am Loch Ness gelegene Burgruine. Der nächstgelegene Ort ist das etwa 2,7 km entfernte Drumnadrochit.
Erste Besiedlungsspuren des Ortes gehen bereits in die Zeit vor dem Besuch des Heiligen Columban im 6. Jahrhundert zurück. Im Adomnán’s Life of Columba wird ein Vorläufer der Festung als Wohnsitz eines piktischen Adeligen erwähnt. Auf dem Gelände wurden zwar bei verschiedenen Ausgrabungen entsprechende Artefakte gefunden, ein früher vermutetes Piktisches Fort konnte jedoch bisher nicht nachgewiesen werden.
Um 1930 erwarb ein Mr. Chewett die Ruine, heute verwaltet Historic Scotland die Anlage. Urquhart Castle ist ein beliebter Bestandteil von Schottland-Rundreisen, entsprechend gut besucht ist die Ruine. Zur Anlage gehört ein Busparkplatz sowie ein großes Besucherzentrum, das neben einem kleinen Museum auch über einen großen Souvenirverkauf, einem Informationskino sowie über ein Café verfügt. Die Anlage ist ganzjährig geöffnet. Die Ruine liegt direkt an der A82 und wird auch durch Linienbusse angefahren.

Eilean Donan Castle

Eilean Donan Castle 2006 - 01

Eilean Donan Castle 2006 - 02

Eilean Donan (Scottish Gaelic: Eilean Donnain) is a small tidal island where three lochs meet, Loch Duich, Loch Long and Loch Alsh, in the western Highlands of Scotland; since the castle’s restoration in the early 20th Century, a footbridge has connected the island to the mainland. A picturesque castle that frequently appears in photographs, film and television dominates the island, which lies about 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) from the village of Dornie.

Eilean Donan is part of the Kintail National Scenic Area, one of 40 in Scotland. In 2001, the island had a recorded population of just one person, but there were no “usual residents” at the time of the 2011 census.

Eilean Donan, which means simply “island of Donnán”, is named after Donnán of Eigg, a Celtic saint martyred in 617. Donnán is said to have established a church on the island, though no trace of this remains

The castle was founded in the thirteenth century, and became a stronghold of the Clan Mackenzie and their allies the Clan Macrae. In the early eighteenth century the Mackenzies’ involvement in the Jacobite rebellions led in 1719 to the castle’s destruction by government ships. Lieutenant-Colonel John Macrae-Gilstrap’s twentieth-century reconstruction of the ruins produced the present buildings.

******

Das Eilean Donan Castle ist wahrscheinlich die bekannteste schottische Burg überhaupt. Sie befindet sich – von Bergen umgeben – auf einer kleinen Insel im Loch Duich und kann nur über eine Steinbrücke erreicht werden.
Ihre Anfänge reichen bis ins das Jahr 1220 zurück. Angeblich soll sie sogar zu Beginn des 14. Jahrhunderts als Zufluchtsort für Robert the Bruce gedient haben.
Das Eilean Donan Castle befindet sich seit 1509 im Besitz des Clans der MacRaes.
Während des ersten Jakobitenaufstandes wurde der überwiegende Teil der Burg im Jahr 1719 durch die Kanonen von drei englischen Kriegsschiffen zerstört.
In mühevoller Kleinarbeit wurde die Burg durch die Familie MacRae in der Zeit von 1912 bis 1932 wieder originalgetreu aufgebaut. Die im Inneren befindliche Ausstellung widmet sich vor allem der Clangeschichte der MacRaes und den beiden Jakobitenaufständen.
Zu den Filmen die hier unter anderem gedreht wurden, gehören ‘Highlander’, ‘Bonnie Prince”, “Nessie – Das Geheimnis von Loch Ness” und der indische Film “Und ganz plötzlich ist es Liebe”.

Glenfinnan Viaduct

Glenfinnan Viaduct

Glenfinnan Viaduct is a railway viaduct on the West Highland Line in Glenfinnan, Lochaber, Highland, Scotland. It was built between July 1897 and October 1898 at the cost of £18,904. Located at the top of Loch Shiel in the West Highlands of Scotland, the viaduct overlooks the Glenfinnan Monument and the waters of Loch Shiel.

*******

Der Glenfinnan-Viadukt ist ein Eisenbahnviadukt an der Strecke der West Highland Line in Glenfinnan, Schottland auf dem Abschnitt zwischen Fort William und Mallaig. Er wurde zwischen Juli 1897 und Oktober 1898 erbaut und ist eine der wichtigsten Anlagen der am 14. April 1901 eröffneten Bahnlinie. Der Viadukt kostete damals 18904 Pfund Sterling.

Das 380 Meter lange Bauwerk besteht aus 21 Pfeilern, die bis zu 30 Meter hoch sind. Der Viadukt war zum Zeitpunkt der Fertigstellung eine technische Pionierleistung, denn er ist eine der ersten großen (Stampf-)Betonbrücken überhaupt. Deshalb erhielt der Erbauer Robert McAlpine später neben dem Ritterschlag auch den Spitznamen „Concrete Bob“ (engl. für „Beton-Bob“).

Die Strecke war früher wichtig für die lokale Fischindustrie, welche sehr von dem Bau der Linie profitierte. Heute wird die Strecke in Personenverkehr ausschließlich von Dieseltriebwagen der Class 156 befahren; Güterverkehr findet nicht mehr statt. Im Sommer fährt täglich außer Samstag der Touristensonderzug „Jacobite Steam Train“ mit Dampflokomotiven, die dem Viadukt zu einem hohen Bekanntheitsgrad verholfen haben.

Am Glenfinnan-Viadukt wurden Szenen vieler Filme und Fernsehserien gedreht, darunter Charlie & Louise – Das doppelte Lottchen, Die Liebe der Charlotte Gray, Monarch of the Glen und die Harry-Potter-Verfilmungen Harry Potter und die Kammer des Schreckens, Harry Potter und der Gefangene von Askaban und Harry Potter und der Feuerkelch, in denen jeweils der Hogwarts-Express den Viadukt passiert.

*******

Glencoe

Glencoe - 01

Glencoe - 02

Glencoe - 03

http://s5.directupload.net/images/user/110209/drjjwole.jpg

Castle Stalker

Castle Stalker - 01

Castle Stalker - 02

Castle Stalker (Scottish Gaelic: Caisteal an Stalcaire) is a four-storey tower house or keep picturesquely set on a tidal islet on Loch Laich, an inlet off Loch Linnhe. It is about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) north-east of Port Appin, Argyll, Scotland, and is visible from the A828 road about mid-way between Oban and Glen Coe. The islet is accessible (with difficulty) from the shore at low tide. The name “Stalker” comes from the Gaelic Stalcaire, meaning “hunter” or “falconer”, and should therefore be pronounced stal-ker, with the l sounded, not as in the pronunciation of the English word “stocker” and some L-dropping accents’ pronunciation of “stalker”.

In recent times, the castle was brought to fame by the Monty Python team, appearing in their film Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

******

Castle Stalker wurde auf einer winzig kleinen Insel, die in einem Seitenarm des Loch Linnhe gelegen ist, erbaut, und besteht lediglich aus einem einfachen, aber robusten Keep. Sie kann nur mittels Boot erreicht werden. Zudem ist eine Besichtigung nur nach vorheriger Absprache mit dem Eigentümer möglich.
Besonders hervorzuheben ist die durchaus interessante Geschichte der Burg, die ein gutes Beispiel für den Umgang der schottischen Clans untereinander darstellt, denn kaum ein Besitzer von Castle Stalker ist in früheren Jahrhunderten eines natürlichen Todes gestorben.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Scotland 2006

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s