Scotland 2012


Roslin Castle

Roslin Castle

Roslin Castle (auch als Rosslyn geschrieben) ist die Ruine einer Niederungsburg in der Nähe von Roslin in Midlothian, Schottland, 15 Kilometer südlich von Edinburgh. Sie steht an der Nordseite des Flusses North Esk, einige hundert Meter von der Rosslyn-Kapelle entfernt. Roslin Castle war einer der Drehorte von The Da Vinci Code – Sakrileg.

******

Roslin Castle (sometimes spelt Rosslyn) is a partially ruined castle near the village of Roslin in Midlothian, Scotland. It is located around 9 miles south of Edinburgh, on the north bank of the North Esk, only a few hundred metres from the famous Rosslyn Chapel.

There has been a castle on the site since the early 14th century, when the Sinclair family, Earls of Caithness and Barons of Roslin, fortified the site, although the present ruins are of slightly later date. Following destruction during the War of the Rough Wooing of 1544, the castle was rebuilt. This structure, built into the cliffs of Roslin Glen, has remained at least partially habitable ever since. The castle is accessed via a high bridge, which replaced an earlier drawbridge. Roslin was renovated in the 1980s and now serves as holiday accommodation.

Hill Of Tarvit 201201

Hill of Tarvit 201202

Hill of Tarvit ist ein aus dem 20. Jahrhundert stammendes Wohnhaus, das inmitten eines großen Gartens gelegen ist.
Es wurde von Sir Robert Lorimer entworfen und befindet sich heute in der Trägerschaft des National Trust of Scotland.
Hill of Tarvit wurde seitlich eines kleines Hügels erbaut und ist etwa 3 km südlich von Cupar zu finden.
Das Areal, auf dem das Haus errichtet wurde, ist etwa 160.000 qm groß und umfasst neben dem Garten auch ein Waldgebiet, einen Park und diverse Ackerflächen.
Das Haus das einst für die Familie Sharp entworfen worden war, wurde zwischen 1905 und 1906 erbaut.

******

The Hill of Tarvit is a 20th-century mansion house and gardens in Fife, Scotland. They were designed by Sir Robert Lorimer and are today owned by the National Trust for Scotland.
The house is situated on a hillside a mile and a half south of Cupar, Fife. It is set in 40 acres (160,000 m2) of garden and 279 acres (1.13 km2) of open estate.[1] This includes woodland, parkland, farmland and open heath, with extensive views.
Between 1905 and 1906, the house and gardens were remodelled, for the Sharp family, by the renowned Scottish architect Sir Robert Lorimer incorporating French and Chippendale-style furniture, porcelain and paintings collected by F B Sharp.

Rosslyn Chapel

Roslyn Chapel 2012 001

Roslyn Chaepl 2012 002

Roslyn Chaepl 2012 003

Rosslyn Chapel, formally known as the Collegiate Chapel of St Matthew, is a 15th-century chapel located at the village of Roslin, Midlothian, Scotland.

Rosslyn Chapel was founded on a small hill above Roslin Glen as a Catholic collegiate church (with between four and six ordained canons and two boy choristers) in the mid-15th century. The chapel was founded by William Sinclair, 1st Earl of Caithness of the Scoto-Norman Sinclair family. Rosslyn Chapel is the third Sinclair place of worship at Roslin, the first being in Roslin Castle and the second (whose crumbling buttresses can still be seen today) in what is now Roslin Cemetery.

The purpose of the college was to celebrate the Divine Office throughout the day and night and also to celebrate Holy Mass for all the faithful departed, including the deceased members of the Sinclair family. During this period the rich heritage of plainsong (a single melodic line) or polyphony (vocal harmony) would be used to enrich the singing of the liturgy. An endowment was made that would pay for the upkeep of the priests and choristers in perpetuity and they also had parochial responsibilities.

After the Scottish Reformation (1560), Roman Catholic worship in the chapel was brought to an end, although the Sinclair family continued to be Roman Catholics until the early 18th century. From that time the chapel was closed to public worship until 1861, when it was opened again as a place of worship according to the rites of the Scottish Episcopal Church.

Since the late 1980s, the chapel has also featured in speculative theories concerning a connection of Freemasonry, the Knights Templar, and the Holy Grail. It was prominently featured in the 2003 bestseller The Da Vinci Code and its 2006 film adaptation.

Rosslyn Chapel remains privately owned. The current owner is Peter St Clair-Erskine, 7th Earl of Rosslyn.

******

Die Rosslyn-Kapelle (Rosslyn Chapel), ursprünglich Collegiate Chapel of St. Matthew genannt, ist eine gotische Kirche aus dem 15. Jahrhundert in dem Dorf Roslin bei Edinburgh in Schottland.

Entworfen wurde die Kirche von William Sinclair, Baron of Roslin (* 1410; † 1484), Mitglied des Sinclair Clan. Zur Herkunft des Clans wird vermutet, dass seine ersten Mitglieder ursprünglich aus der Normandie in Frankreich stammen. Belege dafür fanden sich jedoch nicht. Die Bauarbeiten gegannen erst 1456, nicht wie häufig angenommen 1446. Der Grundriss entspricht dem des Herodianischen Tempels in Jerusalem. Der Bau dauerte 40 Jahre. Unterbrochen wurde er 1484 nach dem Tod von Sinclair, der in der Kirche begraben wurde. Rosslyn Chapel wurde als Stiftskirche des heiligen Evangelisten Matthäus kreuzförmig geplant. Die Mauern wurden aus lokalem Sandstein errichtet. In den Gewölben unterhalb der Kirche (Krypta) ruhen die Ritter der Familie Sinclair.

Wiliam war der Name des ersten sowie des letzten Ritters, der hier auf diese Art beigesetzt wurde. 1484 wurde Wiliam der Stifter in der Kapelle begraben. Nachforschungen ergaben, dass Wiliam der Stifter auch einige Ahnen in die Kapelle überführen ließ. So erinnert ein Stein auf dem Denkmal in der Nordwestecke der Kapelle an Sir Wiliam Sinclair von 1297, einem Grand Prior der Tempelritter. Henry Sinclair, Earl of Orkney, der 1345 im Robin Hood Turm von Roslin Castle geboren wurde, liegt ebenfalls in Rosslyn Chapel.

1650 wurde ein Namensvetter des Stifters, ein Wiliam Sinclair, der in der Schlacht von Dunbar am 3. September 1650 gefallen war, ebenfalls in der Kapelle beigesetzt.

Die Familie Sinclair blieb während der Reformation dem katholischen Glauben treu. Sie mussten deshalb ihre Gottesdienste aus der Rosslyn Chapel in die eigene Schlosskapelle verlegen. Um 1650 diente Rosslyn Chapel als Quartier für Oliver Cromwells Soldaten und Pferde. Der Kommandeur der Truppen, General Monck richtete in der Kapelle allerdings keine dauerhafte Kaserne ein.

1847 besuchte Königin Victoria Rosslyn Chapel und regte die Sanierung der Kapelle an. 1860 beauftragte der Großmeister der schottischen Logen, James St Clair-Erskine, 3rd Earl of Rosslyn, den Architekten und Freimaurer, David Bryce, mit der umfangreichen Restaurierung der Kapelle.

Holyrood Palace

Holyrood Palace 2012 01

Holyrood Palace 2012 02

Holyrood Palace 2012 03

Holyrood Palace 2012 04

The Palace of Holyroodhouse (/ˈhɒlɪˌruːd/ or /ˈhoʊlɪˌruːd/[1]), commonly referred to as Holyrood Palace, is the official residence of the British monarch in Scotland. Located at the bottom of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, at the opposite end to Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace has served as the principal residence of the Kings and Queens of Scots since the 16th century, and is a setting for state occasions and official entertaining.

Queen Elizabeth spends one week in residence at Holyrood Palace at the beginning of each summer, where she carries out a range of official engagements and ceremonies. The 16th century Historic Apartments of Mary, Queen of Scots and the State Apartments, used for official and state entertaining, are open to the public throughout the year, except when members of the Royal Family are in residence.

******

Die Ursprünge von Holyrood reichen bis in das frühe 12. Jahrhundert zurück, als im Jahr 1128 der schottische König David I. an besagter Stelle eine Augustinerabtei gründete.
Früher von Zahlungsunfähigen als Zufluchtsort genutzt, wurde das dazugehörige Gästehaus im Laufe der Zeit ausgebaut und erhielt im Jahr 1502 einen Wohnturm. Der Umbau zum Palast erfolgte durch James IV. und dessen Sohn James V.
Sein heutiges Aussehen hat Holyrood Palace seit dem 17. Jahrhundert.
Der in der Zeit von 1529 – 1532 erbaute Nordwestturm ist noch immer erhalten. Hier befanden sich die Gemächer von Maria Stuart. Sie – die berühmteste Bewohnerin des Palastes – hatte im Palast längere Zeit gelebt und in der nahe gelegenen kleinen Abtei ihren Cousin Henry, Lord of Darnley, geheiratet.
Unzählige Ereignisse haben sich in diesem altehrwürdigen Gemäuer abgespielt. Zu dessen dramatischsten die Ermordung von David Rizzio, dem italienischen Sekretär und angeblichen Geliebten Marias, gehören dürfte.
Am 9. März 1566 drang Marias Gemahl Lord Darnley mit einer Gruppe seiner Anhänger in die Privatgemächer der Königin ein. Sie ergriffen Rizzio und erstachen diesen vor den Augen von Maria Stuart. Später wurden an der Leiche mehr als 50 Messerstiche gezählt.
Nachdem James VI. (Maria Stuarts Sohn und erster König eines vereinigten Großbritanniens) den Hof nach London verlegte, wurde Holyrood Palace nur noch sehr selten als königliche Residenz genutzt.
Cromwells Soldaten fanden hier 1650 ihr Quartier.
Durch eine Unachtsamkeit kam es zum Brand, und das Gebäude fiel zu großen Teilen den Flammen zum Opfer. Erst König Charles II. begann mit der Wiederaufbau.
Das geschah in den Jahren 1671 – 1678. Die Pläne dafür stammten vom Architekten Sir William Bruce. Ausgeführt wurden die Arbeiten unter dem damaligen königlichen Baumeister Robert Mylne.
In der innerhalb des Gebäudes befindlichen Gemäldegalerie veranstaltete Charles Edward Stuart 1745 einen rauschenden Ball. Er sollte das letzte große Fest sein, denn kein Jahr später folgte die katastrophale Niederlage von Culloden.
Ausführlich beschrieben, wird diese Festivität in Sir Walter Scotts Roman „Waverly“.
Heute dient der Palace of Holyroodhosue als Residenz für die Mitglieder der königlichen Familie bei ihren Aufenthalten in Edinburgh. Es ist daher gut möglich, dass man bei einem Besuch des Palastes vor verschlossenen Türen steht.

Stirling Old Town Jail

Old Town Jail 01

Old Town Jail 02

The Old Town Jail was first opened in 1847. Located at the top of St. John Street, the jail paints a frightening picture of what it would have been like to be imprisoned in the 1800’s. As you travel round the dark corridors inspecting the cells you’ll experience the atmosphere of jail life: creaking hinges, a shuffle of feet, time hanging heavily in the air. You may be in ‘luck’ and a desperate prisoner might even try to make good his escape. If this happens, you must follow the instructions of your warder.

******

Das viktorianische Stadtgefängnis wurde 1847 von Thomas Brown errichtet und war für die damalige Zeit recht modern – es gab erstmals Einzelzellen statt bis zu 25 Personen pro Zelle. Im Jahre 1935 wurde es zu einem Militärgefängnis umfunktioniert – dem einzigen in Schottland. Seit 1991 ist das renovierte Gebäude nun Besuchern zugänglich.

Stirling Old Bridge

Stirling Old Bridge 2012 01

Stirling Old Bridge 2012 02

This bridge was built over 500 years by Murdoch, Duke of Albany, who was executed on the Beheading Stone. It was the lowest bridging point over the River Forth for almost four centuries. Duties were levied on goods entering the Burgh and customs men sat in a covered booth in a recess in the middle of the bridge.

In 1571 a gallows was erected on the bridge to hang Archbishop Hamilton.

In 1745, the Southernmost arch was blown up by general Blackney to prevent the Highlanders from crossing.

Before this Bridge was built there were earlier structures, including the wooden bridge where Sir William Wallace defeated the English at the Battle of Stirling Bridge in 1297.

In 1606, the battlefield, now known as Bridgehaugh was used a plague camp and some 600 men, women and children died here.

Stirling New Bridge, was designed by Robert Stevenson and opened in 1833.

Church of the Holy Rude

Church of the Holy Rude 2012 01

Church of the Holy Rude 2012 02

The Church of the Holy Rude is the medieval parish church of Stirling, Scotland. The church was founded in 1129 during the reign of David I, but earliest part of the present church dates from the 15th century. As such it is the second oldest building in Stirling after Stirling Castle, parts of which date from the later 14th century. The chancel and tower were added in the 16th century.

Stirling Castle has long been a favoured residence of the Scottish monarchs, and was developed as a Renaissance palace during the reigns of the later Stewart Kings. The Church of the Holy Rude, adjacent to the castle, became similarly associated with the monarchy, hosting royal baptisms and coronations. It is one of three churches still in use in Britain that have been the sites of coronations.

*******

Auf dem Altstadtberg von Stirling ist die Church of the Holy Rude (Holz vom Kreuz Christi) interessant. Sie wurde im 13. (aA 15.) Jh errichtet. Hier wurde Mary Queen of Scots im Alter von acht Monaten zur Königin gekrönt (aA in der Chapel Royal im Castle). Jedenfalls ihr Sohn wurde hier gekrönt; die Predigt hielt John Knox. Das Maßwerk der Kirche ist zum Teil hübsch, zum Teil wirkt es aber auch recht modern und merkwürdig.

Stirling Castle

Stirling Castle 2012

Stirling Castle 2012 Royal Chambers

Stirling Castle 2012 Entry

Stirling Castle 2012 Statue of Robert the Bruce

Stirling Castle 2012 02

Stirling Castle, located in Stirling, is one of the largest and most important castles, both historically and architecturally, in Scotland. The castle sits atop Castle Hill, an intrusive crag, which forms part of the Stirling Sill geological formation. It is surrounded on three sides by steep cliffs, giving it a strong defensive position. Its strategic location, guarding what was, until the 1890s, the farthest downstream crossing of the River Forth, has made it an important fortification from the earliest times. Most of the principal buildings of the castle date from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. A few structures of the fourteenth century remain, while the outer defences fronting the town date from the early eighteenth century. Several Scottish Kings and Queens have been crowned at Stirling, including Mary, Queen of Scots, in 1542. There have been at least eight sieges of Stirling Castle, including several during the Wars of Scottish Independence, with the last being in 1746, when Bonnie Prince Charlie unsuccessfully tried to take the castle. Stirling Castle is a Scheduled Ancient Monument, and is now a tourist attraction managed by Historic Scotland.

******

Stirling Castle ist ein Schloss in Schottland. Es liegt über der Altstadt von Stirling auf dem Schlossberg („Castle Hill“), einem steil aufragenden Hügel vulkanischen Ursprungs. Stirling Castle ist nationales Denkmal und wird von der staatlichen Denkmalschutzbehörde “Historic Scotland” verwaltet.

Das Schloss spielte aufgrund seiner strategisch günstigen Lage am Fluss Forth eine wichtige Rolle in der Geschichte Schottlands und wurde mindestens sechzehnmal belagert oder angegriffen. In unmittelbarer Nähe fanden drei Schlachten statt, eine vierte wenige Kilometer weiter nördlich. Von etwa 1100 bis 1685 war Stirling Castle eine der Hauptresidenzen der schottischen Könige, danach bis 1964 Hauptquartier des Regiments Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

Die meisten Gebäude von Stirling Castle stammen aus der Zeit zwischen 1496 und 1583, als das Schloss unter den schottischen Königen Jakob IV., Jakob V. und Jakob VI. sowie unter der Witwe des Königs Jakob V., Marie de Guise, markant ausgebaut wurde. Einige Gebäudeteile aus dem 14. Jahrhundert sind erhalten geblieben, während die Befestigungsanlagen teilweise aus dem frühen 18. Jahrhundert stammen.

Bannockburn

Bannockburn 2012 01

Bannockburn 2012 02

Bannockburn 2012 03

Bannockburn 2012 04

Bannockburn 2012 05

The Battle of Bannockburn (Blàr Allt nam Bànag, often mistakenly called Blàr Allt a’ Bhonnaich in Scottish Gaelic) (24 June 1314) was a significant Scottish victory in the First War of Scottish Independence, and a landmark in Scottish history.

Stirling Castle, a Scots royal fortress, occupied by the English, was under siege by the Scottish army. Edward II of England assembled a formidable force to relieve it. This attempt failed, and his army was defeated in a pitched battle by a smaller army commanded by Robert I of Scotland.

******

Die Schlacht von Bannockburn am 23. und 24. Juni 1314 war eine der entscheidenden Schlachten in den Schottischen Unabhängigkeitskriegen des späten 13. und des 14. Jahrhunderts. Im Sumpfland von Bannockburn in der Nähe von Stirling errang das schottische Heer unter der Führung von Robert (the) Bruce einen entscheidenden Sieg gegen ein erheblich größeres englisches Heer unter Eduard II.

Cambuskenneth Abbey

Cambuskenneth Abbey 01

Cambuskenneth Abbey 02

Cambuskenneth Abbey 03

Cambuskenneth Abbey is a ruined Augustinian monastery located on an area of land enclosed by a meander of the River Forth near Stirling in Scotland. The abbey is largely reduced to its foundations. The neighbouring modern village of Cambuskenneth is named after it.

Cambuskenneth Abbey was founded by order of David I around the year 1140. Dedicated to the Virgin Mary, it was initially known as the Abbey of St Mary of Stirling and sometimes simply as Stirling Abbey. The major street leading down the castle hill from the royal residences in Stirling Castle to the abbey was called St. Mary’s Wynd, a name it retains.

Cambuskenneth was one of the more important abbeys in Scotland, due in part to its proximity to the Royal Burgh of Stirling, a leading urban centre of the country and sometime capital. Its status as a royal abbey in the neighbourhood of a major national stronghold may be compared to that of Holyrood Abbey vis à vis Edinburgh. Royalty, including Edward Longshanks (King of England) and later Robert the Bruce (King of Scots), prayed regularly at the abbey. Bruce held his parliament there in 1326 to confirm the succession of his son David II.

In 1486 Margaret of Denmark died at Stirling Castle and was buried at the abbey. In 1488 her husband James III was murdered at the Battle of Sauchieburn and his body was brought to Cambuskenneth Abbey for burial. The elaborate marker of his grave, which was funded by Queen Victoria, is still visible at one end of the church.

The abbey fell into disuse during the Scottish Reformation. By 1559 there were few monks remaining there, and the abbey was closed and most of the buildings looted and burned. The abbey was placed under the jurisdiction of the military governor of Stirling Castle, who had much of the stonework removed and used in construction projects in the castle.

Of the once wealthy abbey, mostly only knee-high ruins and exposed foundations remain. Only the 13th century campanile is intact, following an extensive renovation in 1859. The abbey was acquired by the crown in 1908, and it is managed by Historic Scotland. The abbey is open to visitors during the summer months. Visitors can enter the base room of the campanile; the stairs to the upper floors are locked, but are opened for visitors on occasion.

*******

In der Nähe in der Nähe von Stirling gelegenen Augustinerabtei, die 1140 von David I. gegründet worden war, hielt das schottische Parlament einst seine Versammlungen ab.
Hier liegen James III. und seine Ehefrau Margaret von Dänemark begraben. Ihre Särge wurde im vergangenen Jahrhundert rein zufällig bei Ausgrabungen entdeckt. Wie so viele andere Gebäude fiel auch Cambuskenneth Abbey das Los zu, als Steinbruch zu enden.
Die Abtei wurde 1604 dem Earl of Mar übergeben, der sich aus ihren Steinen ein Stadtpalais errichten ließ.
Heute sind lediglich noch eines der Klostergebäude, das Westportal der Kirche und ein Turm erhalten. In diesem sind in zwei Räumen die unterschiedlichsten Grab- und Gedenksteine ausgestellt.

Wallace Monument

Wallace Monument - 01

Wallace Monument - 02

Wallace Monument - 03

The National Wallace Monument (generally known as the Wallace Monument) is a tower standing on the summit of Abbey Craig, a hilltop near Stirling in Scotland. It commemorates Sir William Wallace, a 13th-century Scottish hero.

The tower was constructed following a fundraising campaign, which accompanied a resurgence of Scottish national identity in the 19th century. In addition to public subscription, it was partially funded by contributions from a number of foreign donors, including Italian national leader Giuseppe Garibaldi. Completed in 1869 to the designs of architect John Thomas Rochead at a cost of £18,000, the monument is a 67-metre (220 ft) sandstone tower, built in the Victorian Gothic style.

The tower stands on the Abbey Craig, a volcanic crag above Cambuskenneth Abbey, from which Wallace was said to have watched the gathering of the army of King Edward I of England, just before the Battle of Stirling Bridge. The monument is open to the general public. Visitors climb the 246 step spiral staircase to the viewing gallery inside the monument’s crown, which provides expansive views of the Ochil Hills and the Forth Valley.

A number of artifacts believed to have belonged to Wallace are on display inside the monument, including the Wallace Sword, a 1.63-metre (5 ft, 4 in) long sword weighing almost three kilograms. Inside is also a Hall of Heroes, a series of busts of famous Scots, effectively a small national Hall of Fame.

******

Das Wallace Monument ist ein 67 m hoher vierkantiger Turm, welcher 1869 bei Stirling zum Gedenken an William Wallace errichtet wurde.

Der im neugotischen Stil erbaute Turm befindet sich 1,5 km nordöstlich von Stirling auf dem Berg Abbey Craig an der Straße nach Dunbley. Angeblich soll Wallace von diesem Hügel aus die englische Armee beobachtet haben, ehe er die schottischen Truppen beim Angriff befehligte. Die Bauzeit betrug acht Jahre. Ortsansässige behaupten, man habe den Turm als Attraktion für englische Touristen erbaut.

Das Wallace Monument beherbergt ein ganzjährig geöffnetes Museum mit Informationen zur Schlacht von Stirling Bridge und zu bekannten schottischen Persönlichkeiten. Gleich neben der Eingangstür trifft man auf eine lebensgroß nachgebaute Figur des Freiheitskämpfers, die zu einer Figur des englischen Königs sagt: „Du hast zwar meinen Körper, aber niemals meine Loyalität und meinen Respekt.“

Im ersten Stock befindet sich der William Wallace Talking Head, eine 3D-Animation, die dem Besucher die Geschichte von William Wallace und der Schlacht von Stirling Bridge erzählt. Außerdem sind dort William Wallaces Schwert und Mel Gibsons Filmkostüm aus Braveheart ausgestellt. Nach dem Film Braveheart verzeichnete das Wallace Monument eine Verdreifachung der Besucherzahlen.

Stockwerk 2 beherbergt die “Hall of Heroes”: eine Ausstellung zu anderen schottischen Persönlichkeiten, insbesondere jenen des 20. Jahrhunderts. Noch eine Etage höher wird die Geschichte des Monuments selbst erzählt. Außerdem wird gezeigt, wo in der Welt es noch Denkmale für William Wallace gibt.

Ganz oben hat der Turm eine Aussichtsplattform, The Crown, von der aus man Stirling aus einer Höhe von ca. 100 m über dem Meeresspiegel überschauen kann. Man hat hier einen wunderbaren Blick nach Stirling Castle.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s