Scotland 2013


Dunure Castle

Dunure Castle 2013

Dunure Castle ist eine Burgruine in der schottischen Ortschaft Dunure in der Council Area South Ayrshire. Sie liegt auf einem Felsvorsprung an der Küste des Firth of Clyde. Zu den erhaltenen Außengebäuden zählt ein Taubenturm.
Der Clan Kennedy erbaute Dunure Castle im 13. Jahrhundert. In den folgenden Jahrhunderten zählte es zu den Hauptsitzen der Kennedys, der späteren Earls of Cassillis. Im Laufe der Jahrhunderte wurde die Burg mehrfach umgestaltet und erweitert. Unter anderem wurde eine außen liegende Kapelle mit Bleiglasfenstern erbaut, von der heute keine Überreste mehr vorhanden sind. Möglicherweise wurde sie im Zuge einer Belagerung in den 1570er Jahren zerstört. Es ist belegt, dass die schottische Königin Maria Stuart drei Nächte auf Dunure Castle verbrachte. Der Niedergang der Anlage wird auf die Mitte des 17. Jahrhunderts datiert. Im Jahre 1694 wurde Dunure Castle als Ruine beschrieben. In der Folgezeit verschlechterte sich der Zustand durch Steindiebstahl zunehmend. Eine Reihe von Außengebäuden war noch bis etwa 1860 bewohnt.

******

Dunure Castle is located on the west coast of Scotland, in South Ayrshire, about 8km south of Ayr and close to the village of Dunure. Today the castle stands in ruins on a rocky promontory on the Carrick coast, overlooking the small harbour of Dunure.
The site dates from the late 13th century; the earliest charter for the lands dating from 1256, but the remains of the building are of 15th- and 16th-century origin.One tradition is that the castle was built by the Danes and another states that the Mackinnons held the castle from Alexander III, as a reward for their valour at the Battle of Largs.
The castle is the point of origin of the Kennedys of Carrick, who once ruled over much of south western Scotland and were granted the lands in 1357. Sir James Balfour described Dunure as a grate and pleasand stronge housse, the most ancient habitation of the surname of Kennedy, Lairds of Dunure, now Earles of Cassiles. This family should not be confused with the renowned American Kennedy family which came from Co. Wexford in Ireland.
In August 1563, Mary, Queen of Scots, visited the castle for three days during her third progress round the west of the country.
The Celtic name Dunure or Dunoure is said to derive from the “hill” or “fort of the yew tree”.

Culzean Castle

Culzean Castle

Culzean Castle ist ein Schloss zwischen Maybole und Maidens im ehemaligen Distrikt von Carrick an der Küste von South Ayrshire. Es wurde im 18. Jahrhundert von Robert Adam für David Kennedy, den 10. Earl von Cassillis, als romantisches Schloss entworfen. Es steht auf einem steil abfallenden Felsen direkt am Meer, umgeben von einem zwei Hektar großen Schlosspark mit Schwanensee, Abenteuerspielplatz und Waldwegen.
Bemerkenswert ist auch die Gasanlage, mit der bis 1940 Stadtgas aus Kohle für Beleuchtungs- und Heizzwecke erzeugt wurde. Heute ist eine permanente Ausstellung für William Murdock eingerichtet.
Im Jahr 1945 wurde das Castle von den Kennedys an den National Trust for Scotland (NTS) übergeben, der es bis heute vermarktet und unterhält. Als Anerkennung der Verdienste während des Zweiten Weltkrieges um die Befreiung Großbritanniens wurde dem General und späteren Präsidenten Dwight D. Eisenhower bereits zuvor von den Kennedys das oberste Stockwerk auf Lebenszeit zur Verfügung gestellt. Auch über ihn ist eine Ausstellung im Castle zu finden.
Mittlerweile hat es sich als eine der meistbesuchten Touristenattraktion in der Gegend um Ayr entwickelt und zieht jährlich tausende von Besuchern an.

******

Culzean Castle is a castle near Maybole, Carrick, on the Ayrshire coast of Scotland. It is the former home of the Marquess of Ailsa, the chief of Clan Kennedy, but is now owned by the National Trust for Scotland. The clifftop castle lies within the Culzean Castle Country Park and is opened to the public. Since 1987, an illustration of the castle has featured on the reverse side of five pound notes issued by the Royal Bank of Scotland.

Crossraguel Abbey

Crossraguel Abbey

The Abbey of Saint Mary of Crossraguel is a ruin of a former abbey near the town of Maybole, South Ayrshire, Scotland.
Founded in 1244 by Donnchadh, Earl of Carrick, following an earlier donation of 1225, to the monks of Paisley Abbey for that purpose. They reputedly built nothing more than a small chapel and kept the balance for themselves. The Earl took the matter to the Bishop of Glasgow for arbitration and, winning his case, forced the monks to build a proper abbey.
The origin of the abbey’s name is unclear but may refer to the ancient Cross of Riaghail (Latin form St Regulus) that stood on the spot. Crossraguel was a Cluniac abbey and the monks – members of a branch of the Benedictines – were known as the “Black monks” after the colour of their clothes.
Crossraguel was sacked in 1307 by the army of Edward I. It was rebuilt on a larger scale and remained a monastery until 1560, when the Reformation ended monastic institutions in Scotland. However, the few remaining monks were allowed to live out their time there until the last monk died in 1601. Some of the stone has been removed for local construction, but the Abbey ruins remain some of the most complete of any medieval religious house to survive in Scotland. Like Paisley Abbey, Crossraguel was of the Order of Cluny whose mission was to encourage pilgrimage. It is no accident then that Crossraguel is half-way between Paisley and Whithorn on the Ayrshire pilgrims’ trail to the shrine of St Ninian in The Machars of Galloway. The site is looked after by Historic Scotland and is open to the public with an entrance charge.
The Kennedy family, Earls of Cassilis famously obtained the lands of Crossraguel Abbey through the torturing by Gilbert Kennedy, 4th Earl of Cassilis of Allan Stewart, the commendator at his castle of Dunure-

******

Die Crossraguel Abbey ist die Ruine einer Benediktinerabtei nahe der schottischen Ortschaft Maybole in der Council Area South Ayrshire. 1971 wurde das Bauwerk in die schottischen Denkmallisten in der höchsten Denkmalkategorie A aufgenommen.
Möglicherweise war Crossraguel bereits seit dem vierten Jahrhundert ein christlicher Standort in Schottland. Der Name könnte sich von Cross of Raighail („Kreuz des Regulus“) ableiten und auf ein freistehendes Kreuz hindeuten. Regulus war ein griechischer Mönch, der im vierten Jahrhundert nach Schottland floh. Donnchadh, Earl of Carrick schenkte der Abtei Paisley vor 1214–1216 die Ländereien. Zu dieser Zeit entstand jedoch lediglich ein kleines Oratorium. Der Bischof von Glasgow schlichtete 1244 einen Streit zwischen dem Earl und den Mönchen, indem er die Mönche der Abtei Paisley anwies, in Crossraguel ein Tochterkloster einzurichten. Wann die Abtei fertiggestellt wurde, kann nicht exakt bestimmt werden. Der erste Abt wurde im Jahr 1286 eingesetzt.

Während der Schottischen Unabhängigkeitskriege war Robert the Bruce König von Schottland. Gleichzeitig fungierte er als Earl of Carrick, weshalb die Abtei ihm die Treue hielt. Aus diesem Grund wurden die Gebäude im Lauf des Krieges schwer beschädigt. Das Kloster wurde daraufhin im 14. und 15. Jahrhundert umfassend wiederaufgebaut und erweitert. Der Großteil der heutigen Ruinen stammt aus dieser Zeit.Im Laufe des 16. Jahrhunderts wurden die Gebäude überarbeitet. Im Zuge der schottischen Reformation wurde Crossraguel Abbey abermals schwer beschädigt. Die letzten Mönche gaben die Anlage wohl um 1592 auf.

Burns Cottage

Burns Cottage

Burns Cottage, the first home of Robert Burns is located in Alloway, South Ayrshire, Scotland. It was built by his father, William Burness in 1757. Burns, Scotland’s national poet, was born there on 25 January 1759. It is a simple two-roomed clay and thatch cottage and has been fully restored to become part of Robert Burns Birthplace Museum.

The cottage has had a number of uses, including a spell as a pub, run by a Mr Goudie from Riccarton who saw the opportunity to exploit Burns’s developing reputation. At first therefore the cottage was not greatly valued. The Suffragettes recognised its importance, having once endeavoured to set the cottage alight

In 1818, the English poet John Keats took a trip to Scotland to visit the home, years after Burns’ death in 1796. Before Keats arrived, he wrote to a friend that “one of the pleasantest means of annulling self is approaching such a shrine as the cottage of Burns — we need not think of his misery — that is all gone — bad luck to it — I shall look upon it all with unmixed pleasure.”

******

Das Burns Cottage ist ein Wohngebäude in der schottischen Stadt Alloway in der Council Area South Ayrshire. Es handelt sich um das Geburtshaus des Dichters Robert Burns. 1971 wurde das Bauwerk in die schottischen Denkmallisten in der höchsten Denkmalkategorie A aufgenommen.

Das Gebäude stammt aus dem Jahre 1737. Bereits vor dessen Hochzeit befand es sich im Besitz von William Burnes, dem Vater von Robert Burns, denn er errichtete um diese Zeit den Südteil des Hauses. Stallung und Scheune wurden hingegen erst nach der Hochzeit erbaut. 1759 kam Robert Burns in Burns Cottage zur Welt. Mit dem Einsetzen eines Besucherinteresses an Burns Geburtshaus im 19. Jahrhundert wurde es zu einer Gastwirtschaft umgestaltet, wobei bauliche Veränderungen nötig waren. Mit der Einrichtung eines Museums durch den Burns Monument Trust gegen Ende des Jahrhunderts wurde das Gebäude nach bestem Wissen wieder in den Originalzustand zurückversetzt.

Burns Cottage liegt direkt an einer der Hauptverkehrsstraßen von Alloway. Es handelt sich um ein traditionelles einstöckiges Cottage mit Reetdach. Die südostexponierte Frontseite ist sieben Achsen weit und der Grundriss annähernd rechteckig. Nur am Nordende folgt das Gebäude dem gebogenen Straßenverlauf. Das Mauerwerk ist mit Lehm versiegelt und mit Harl verputzt. Es sind drei schlichte hölzerne Eingangstüren vorhanden, zwischen denen Sprossenfenster mit hölzernen Läden angeordnet sind. Die Rückseite ist lediglich fünf Achsen weit und mit einer Türe ausgestattet. Vom Dach ragen zwei firstständige Kamine auf

Alloway Parish Church

Alloway Parish Church

Built in 1858, architect Campbell Douglas. South transept added in 1877, chancel built and nave extended in 1890. Excellent stained glass including Stephen Adam, Clayton & Bell, Gordon Webster, W & J J Keir. James Crombie Memorial window to D F McIntyre, pilot on first flight over Mount Everest in 1933. Two windows by Susan Bradbury were installed in 1996, one depicting the four seasons, the other in memory of Robert Burns. Three further Bradbury windows were added in 2001, enhancing the porch and sanctuary area throughout with stained glass.

******

Alloway Auld Kirk

Alloway Auld Kirk

Sitting just 300 yards from the famous River Doon, Alloway Auld Kirk is a must see for anyone interested in Robert Burns and his poetry. This is where poor Tam O’Shanter saw the witches dance before they gave chase. It is within close proximity to Burns Cottage and the Burns National Heritage Park. Burns’ father, William Burness and his sister, Isabella Burns Begg are buried in the kirkyard.

The church itself was a simple structure, a stone built rectangle with gabled ends. Today it is a roofless ruin. Within the church itself is the elegant sarcophagus of David Cathcart, Lord Alloway, and a mortsafe – a cast iron shield temporarily buried with a coffin to discourage body-snatchers, who supplied fresh corpses to anatomists. It is worth searching out several exquisitely carved gravestones, heavy with symbols of death and resurrection.

******

Die Alloway Auld Kirk ist eine Kirchenruine in der schottischen Stadt Alloway in der Council Area South Ayrshire. 1971 wurde das Bauwerk in die schottischen Denkmallisten in der höchsten Denkmalkategorie A aufgenommen. Außerdem bildet sie zusammen mit dem zugehörigen Friedhof ein Denkmalensemble der Kategorie A. Des Weiteren ist die Kirchenruine als Scheduled Monument klassifiziert.

Crossraguel Abbey

Crossraguel Abbey

The Abbey of Saint Mary of Crossraguel is a ruin of a former abbey near the town of Maybole, South Ayrshire, Scotland.

Founded in 1244 by Donnchadh, Earl of Carrick, following an earlier donation of 1225, to the monks of Paisley Abbey for that purpose. They reputedly built nothing more than a small chapel and kept the balance for themselves. The Earl took the matter to the Bishop of Glasgow for arbitration and, winning his case, forced the monks to build a proper abbey.

The origin of the abbey’s name is unclear but may refer to the ancient Cross of Riaghail (Latin form St Regulus) that stood on the spot. Crossraguel was a Cluniac abbey and the monks – members of a branch of the Benedictines – were known as the “Black monks” after the colour of their clothes.

*******

Die Crossraguel Abbey ist die Ruine einer Benediktinerabtei nahe der schottischen Ortschaft Maybole in der Council Area South Ayrshire. 1971 wurde das Bauwerk in die schottischen Denkmallisten in der höchsten Denkmalkategorie A aufgenommen. Des Weiteren ist die Anlage als Scheduled Monument klassifiziert.

Möglicherweise war Crossraguel bereits seit dem vierten Jahrhundert ein christlicher Standort in Schottland. Der Name könnte sich von Cross of Raighail („Kreuz des Regulus“) ableiten und auf ein freistehendes Kreuz hindeuten. Regulus war ein griechischer Mönch, der im vierten Jahrhundert nach Schottland floh. Donnchadh, Earl of Carrick schenkte der Abtei Paisley vor 1214–1216 die Ländereien. Zu dieser Zeit entstand jedoch lediglich ein kleines Oratorium. Der Bischof von Glasgow schlichtete 1244 einen Streit zwischen dem Earl und den Mönchen, indem er die Mönche der Abtei Paisley anwies, in Crossraguel ein Tochterkloster einzurichten. Wann die Abtei fertiggestellt wurde, kann nicht exakt bestimmt werden. Der erste Abt wurde im Jahr 1286 eingesetzt.

Während der Schottischen Unabhängigkeitskriege war Robert the Bruce König von Schottland. Gleichzeitig fungierte er als Earl of Carrick, weshalb die Abtei ihm die Treue hielt. Aus diesem Grund wurden die Gebäude im Lauf des Krieges schwer beschädigt. Das Kloster wurde daraufhin im 14. und 15. Jahrhundert umfassend wiederaufgebaut und erweitert. Der Großteil der heutigen Ruinen stammt aus dieser Zeit. Im Laufe des 16. Jahrhunderts wurden die Gebäude überarbeitet. Im Zuge der schottischen Reformation wurde Crossraguel Abbey abermals schwer beschädigt. Die letzten Mönche gaben die Anlage wohl um 1592 auf.

Carsluith Castle

Carsluith Castle

Carsluith Castle is a ruined tower house, dating largely to the 16th century. It is located beside Wigtown Bay on the Galloway coast of south-west Scotland, around 4.8 kilometres (3.0 mi) south east of Creetown.

The lands of Carsluith were held by the Cairns family until 1460, when they passed to James Lindsay of Fairgirth, Chamberlain of Galloway. He was probably the builder of the main tower at Carsluith in the late 15th or early 16th century. His son, Sir Herbert Lindsay, was killed at Flodden in 1513. The castle then passed, though a daughter of James Lindsay, to Richard Brown. The Browns (or Brouns) of Carsluith added to the castle, building the stair tower on the north side in the 1560s. A Roman Catholic family, the Browns feuded with the Protestant McCullochs of Barholm, and in 1579 Richard’s son John was fined £40, when his son, also John, failed to appear on a charge of murdering the Mculloch laird of Barholm.

Another descendant of Richard Brown was Gilbert Brown of Carsluith, who served as the last abbot of Sweetheart Abbey, near Dumfries, before the Protestant Reformation. Later it was alleged several times that Gilbert was sheltering Jesuit priests at Carsluith, and in 1605 he was arrested for his Catholic sympathies. He was banished to France, where he became rector of the Scots College, Paris. He died in Paris in 1612.

The Browns of Carsluith emigrated to India in 1748, and the castle has not been occupied since. In the early 19th century, new farm buildings were built on to the castle, forming a U-plan steading which remains. Today the castle ruin is protected as a Scheduled Ancient Monument,[1] and as a category A listed building.[2] The tower is now in the care of Historic Scotland and is open to the public.

******

Diese Burg aus dem 15. Jh besticht weniger durch ihre Lage als vielmehr durch ihre Anbauten: Im 19. Jh errichtete der Bauer, dem das Castle gehörte, an beiden Seiten weiß getünchte Flügel, während die bis zum Dach erhaltene Burgruine selbst in Naturstein erbaut ist. Was in viktorianischer Zeit der letzte Schrei gewesen sein mag, mutet heute etwas merkwürdig an. Immerhin ist diese Konstruktion meines Wissens einzigartig und leicht erreichbar.
Das ursprüngliche vierstöckige Turmhaus besteht aus einem recht kleinen L, wobei der erst 1568 angefügte Seitenflügel vollständig von der Treppe eingenommen wird

Cardoness Castle

Cardoness Castle

In AD1220 an old Cardoness Castle was noted in records, when a Nicholas de Kerdenes and his wife Cicely were in dispute with the monastery at Dundrennan over Cicely’s dowry – the litigation went on for over 20 years. Nicholas was probably descended from one of a number of Anglo-Norman lords who were persuaded by the King of Scotland to settle in the area in an attempt to reduce the power of the Lords (King) of Galloway (MacDowalls). The newcomers were well advised to build strong castles and many of these fortresses survive.

Dundrennan Abbey

Dundrennan Abbey

Dundrennan Abbey, in Dundrennan, Scotland, near to Kirkcudbright, was a Cistercian monastery in the Romanesque architectural style, established in 1142 by Fergus of Galloway, King David I of Scotland (1124–53), and monks from Rievaulx Abbey. Though extensively ruined (the transepts are the main surviving parts), Dundrennan is noted for the purity and restraint of its architecture, reflecting the austere Cistercian ideal. It is also built from very hard-weathering grey sandstone, so the original architectural forms and mouldings are well preserved.

Mary, Queen of Scots, after the Battle of Langside, spent her final night in Scotland here, in 1568. From neighbouring Port Mary, she crossed the Solway Firth to Workington, and shortly after was imprisoned by the English.

In 1587, following the Scottish Reformation, the land passed to the Crown. The site fell into ruin after it was subsequently used to house livestock. Historic Scotland maintain the site today.

*******

Das Kloster Dundrennan (En: Dundrennan Abbey; Gäl. Abaid Dhùn Droighnein) ist eine ehemalige Zisterzienserabtei in Schottland. Es liegt in Dundrennan in der Nähe von Kirkcudbright in der Diözese Galloway.

Das Kloster wurde im Jahr 1142 vom schottischen König David I. und von Fergus von Galloway gestiftet. Kloster Dundrennan war eine Tochtergründung von Kloster Rievaulx in Yorkshire (England), das wiederum ein Tochterkloster der Primarabtei Clairvaux war. Von Dundrennan Abbey aus wurden die Tochterklöster Kloster Glenluce und Kloster Sweetheart gegründet. Nach der schottischen Reformation ging das Kloster 1587 an die Krone über; es kam 1606 an John Murray, den späteren Earl of Annandale. Die Anlage verfiel anschließend und wurde als Steinbruch benutzt. Sie wird heute von Historic Scotland gepflegt.

Vom Kirchenschiff ist der Eingang (Early English) erhalten. Die Mauern des Querschiffs sind noch vorhanden. Die Spitzbogen des Nordquerschiffs werden von Blendarkaden überragt, im Südquerhaus von einem Triforium aus Spitzbögen, über dem sich Rundbogenfenster befinden. Auch der Eingang zum Kapitelsaal ist erhalten.

Broughton House

MacLellan's Castle 01

MacLellan’s Castle in the town of Kirkcudbright, southwest Scotland, was built in the late 16th century. It stands in the centre of Kirkcudbright, on the south side of the River Dee which flows into the Solway Firth. The L-plan castle was the residence of the MacLellan family from whom it derived its name. The family sold the castle in 1752, and from 1782 to 1912 it was held by the Earls of Selkirk. Today, the site is curated by Historic Scotland.

*******

MacLellan’s Castle befindet sich an den Ufern des Dees in der kleinen Ortschaft Kircudbright im Südwesten Schottlands. Die Burg, die einst das Zuhause der MacLellan’s war, wurde 1582 von Thomas MacLellan of Bombie erbaut. Sie verfügte einstmals über unzählige kleine Türmchen, von denen heute nur noch die Überreste vorhanden sind.

*******

Threave Castle

Threave Castle

Threave (or Thrieve, or Treve) Castle is situated on an island in the River Dee, 2.5 km (1.5miles) west of Castle Douglas in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. It was the home of ‘Black’ Douglas Earls of Douglas from the late 14th century until their fall in 1455.

The island was probably inhabited from the 6th century, and the name is most likely derived from the Old Welsh Tref, meaning homestead. It is possible that Fergus of Galloway built a timber castle on the island after 1000, but it was burned in 1308 by Edward Bruce.

*****

Threave Castle (auch Thrieve oder Treve) liegt auf einer etwa 8 ha großen Insel im Fluss Dee, etwa 2,5 km westlich der Gemeinde Castle Douglas, Dumfries and Galloway in Schottland. Die Burg war der Stammsitz der „Schwarzen Douglas“ vom späten 14. bis zur Mitte des 15. Jahrhunderts.

Die ursprüngliche Bezeichnung Trief stammt aus dem Altwalisischen, der Sprache dieser Region bis zum 7. Jahrhundert. Das Wort tref in dieser Sprache bedeutet „Heimstatt“.

Advertisements

One thought on “Scotland 2013

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s