Scotland 2007


Glen Lyon

Glen Lyon 200701

Glen Lyon 200702

Das Glen Lyon (gälisch Gleann Lìomhann) ist ein Tal in der Region Perth & Kinross.
Das weitgehend in West-Ost-Richtung verlaufende Tal wird vom River Lyon durchflossen, der am östlichen Talende nördlich von Kenmore in den Tay mündet. Mit über 50 Kilometern Länge ist Glen Lyon eines der längsten schottischen Bergtäler. Es weist mit dem Tal des Allt Conait lediglich ein größeres, orographisch auf der linken Talseite einmündendes Seitental auf. Die übrigen Seitentäler sind deutlich kürzer.
Auf beiden Seiten ist das Tal durch Bergketten begrenzt, die teilweise über 1000 Meter hohe Gipfel aufweisen. Insgesamt sind rund um das Tal gut ein Dutzend Gipfel als Munros eingeordnet, weitere Munros sind oberhalb von Seitentälern zu finden.

******

Glen Lyon (Scottish Gaelic: Gleann Lìomhann) is a glen in the Perth and Kinross region of Scotland. It is the longest enclosed glen in Scotland and runs for 34 miles from Loch Lyon in the west to the village of Fortingall in the east. This glen was also known as “An Crom Ghleann”, (the bent glen). The land given over to the MacGregors was Scottish Gaelic: An Tòiseachd.

Glen Etive

Glen Etive 2007 01

Glen Etive 2007 02

Castle Tioram 200701

Castle Tioram 200702

Castle Tioram 200703

The ruined Castle Tioram (pronounced Cheerum) is sited on the rocky tidal island Eilean Tioram (the Dry Island) where the waters of Loch Moidart and the river Shiel meet. The castle is closed to visitors but it is possible to visit the island at low tide and look at the castle exterior. Notices warn visitors of the possible danger of falling masonry but it is quite possible to obtain good views of the walls from a safe distance.

*******

Castle Tioram (sprich Tschi-ram, aus dem schottisch-gälischen Caisteal Tioram, was in etwa trockene Burg bedeutet,) ist eine Burgruine am Loch Moidart, Lochaber, Highlands, Schottland, die auf einem schmalen Landstück liegt, das bei Flut die Insel Eilean Tioram bildet. Es liegt westlich von Acharacle, ungefähr 80 km von Fort William. Die Burg selbst befindet sich etwas abseits des offenen Atlantiks und kontrolliert den Zugang zum inneren Loch Moidart und zum Loch Shiel. Sie ist auf der Liste der national bedeutenden historischen Bauwerke Großbritanniens verzeichnet.

Ardnamurchan Lighthouse

Ardnarmuchan Lighthouse 2007 01

Ardnamurchan Lighthouse 2007 02

Der Ardnamurchan-Leuchtturm (schottisch-gälisch: Taigh Solais Aird nam Murchan) ist ein Leuchtturm an der schottischen Westküste. Er befindet sich am Point of Ardnamurchan rund 800 Meter nördlich der Felsnase Corrachadh Mòr, die den westlichsten Punkt des britischen Festlandes kennzeichnet. Dort trifft die südliche Küstenlinie der Halbinsel Ardnamurchan, die sich am Loch Sunart und dem Sound of Mull entlangzieht, auf die nördliche Küstenlinie, die parallel zu den Inseln Skye, Muck, Eigg und Rhum verläuft.

*******

At the most westerly point on the British mainland, Ardnamurchan Lighthouse has been guiding ships safely through the waters off Scotland’s west coast since 1849.

Ardgour

Ardgour 2007 01

Ardgour 2007 02

Ardgour 2007 03

The term Ardgour, together with Kingairloch, is applied to a large area of countryside around the village, from the Glensanda Superquarry, Kingairloch and Kilmalieu in the south and west (bordering Morvern and Sunart districts), up to Conaglen, Treslaig, Camasnagaul, Achaphubuil and Blaich in the north (bordering Glenfinnan).

The area is served by the A861 road. The easiest access from the south is via a short ferry crossing from Corran; the alternative is a 40-mile trip around Loch Linnhe and Loch Eil. The ferries run every half hour until about 9 pm and cost £7.90 per vehicle for a single ticket.[1] Foot passengers and bicycles are carried free of charge.

Ardgour has formed part of the territory of the Clan MacLean ever since the MacMasters were removed from the territory in the 15th Century. The current Laird of Ardgour, Robin Maclean, is a MacLean by adoption. He is the nephew of the last hereditary Maclean of Ardgour – a Lady Laird – having changed his name by legal action.

Corran Lighthouse

Corran Lighthouse 2007 01

Corran Lighthouse 2007 02

Corran Lighthouse Lodge, located on the shores of Loch Linnhe, 8 miles south of Fort William, has been converted from the original lighthouse keepers’ cottages into luxurious holiday accommodation comprising 5 double/twin en-suite bedrooms.

A large elegant lounge with wood burning stove, a charming country kitchen with aga and a beautiful dining area provide spacious accommodation for upto 10 people. Outside the large walled garden is perfect for games and barbecues and there is direct access to the beach. An elevated decking area next to the lighthouse provides stunning views down Loch Linnhe.

Built in 1857 by Robert Louis Stevenson’s father and until, the lighthouse was one of a chain marking the route to the Caledonian Canal. The separate lighthouse is still in operation – without a fog horn.

Silver Sands of Morar

img src=”http://s7.directupload.net/images/user/130514/kcmql2cq.jpg” alt=”White Sands of Morar 2007 01″ />

White Sands of Morar 2007 02

The Silver Sands of Morar are a celebrated series of beautiful sandy beaches, which pepper the coastline from Arisaig to Morar.

A stunning string of white sandy beaches, with spectacular views out to the Small Isles of Rum, Eigg, Muck and Canna, the Silver Sands of Morar are a spectacular destination. A popular place with walkers, the beaches are all accessible from the road and can be enjoyed individually or as a trail. The beaches incorporate the back of Keppoch and Camusdarach on the coastline.

*******

Der Ort Morar ist winzig und lohnt eigentlich keines weiteren Blickes.
Ganz anders verhält es sich, mit den in der Nähe gelegenen “White Sands of Morar”, die auch als Silvers Sands bekannt sind.
Ihre Bezeichnung rührt daher, dass der Sand bei Sonneneinstrahlung wie Silber glänzt. Davon konnten auch wir uns überzeugen.
An den wunderschönen Stränden wurden u. a. Szenen der Filme “Highlander” und “Local Hero” gedreht. Nur allzu verständlich, denn die Strände sind einmalig schön.

Prince’s Cairn

Prince's Cairn 01 2007

Prince's Cairn 02 2007

The Prince’s Cairn marks the traditional spot from where Prince Charles Edward Stuart embarked for France from Scotland on 20 September 1746 following the failure of the Jacobite rising of 1745. The cairn is located on the shores of Loch nan Uamh in Lochaber. It was erected in 1956 by the 1745 Association. A historical society dedicated to the study, recording and preservation of the memories of the Jacobite period.

Although the cairn commemorates the final departure of Bonnie Prince Charlie before his exile to France, Loch nan Uamh is also where the Young Pretender first stepped ashore on mainland Great Britain on 25 July 1745 and where – in April 1746 – he escaped to the Hebrides after the defeat of his forces at the Battle of Culloden.

Lochailort

Lochailort 2007 01

Lochailort 2007 02

Lochailort 2007 03

*******

Glenfinnan Church 2007 01

Glenfinnan Church 2007 02

Glenfinnan Church 2007 03

The church was consecrated in 1873. Designed by E Welby Pugin in the Gothic style, the church enjoys an elevated and commanding position overlooking Loch Shiel with a spectacular view of the loch and surrounding hills. The church is a memorial chapel to the MacDonalds of Glenaladale, the family with whom Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed prior to the raising of the Jacobite standard at Glenfinnan in August 1745. The church contains memorial stones to the Prince and to members of the MacDonald family.

Glenfinnan

Glenfinnan 2007 - 01

Glenfinnan 2007 - 02

Glenfinnan 2007 - 03

Glenfinnan 2007 - 04

Glenfinnan (Scottish Gaelic: Gleann Fhionghain) is a village in Lochaber area of the Highlands of Scotland. In 1745 the Jacobite Rising began here when Prince Charles Edward Stuart (“Bonnie Prince Charlie”) raised his standard on the shores of Loch Shiel. Seventy years later the 18-metre-high (60 ft) Glenfinnan Monument – at the head of the loch – was erected to commemorate the historic event.

******

Glenfinnan (aus dem schottisch-gälischen Gleann Fhionnainn) ist ein kleines Dorf in den schottischen Highlands. Es liegt am Nordrand von Loch Shiel am Fuße des Glen Finnan.

Great Glenm

Great Glen 01

Great Glen 02

Great Glen 03

The Great Glen (Scottish Gaelic: An Gleann Mòr), also known as Glen Albyn (from the Scottish Gaelic Gleann Albainn – meaning the “Glen of Scotland”) or Glen More (from the Scottish Gaelic An Gleann Mòr, the Great Glen) is a series of glens in Scotland running for 62 miles (100 km) from Inverness on the edge of Moray Firth, to Fort William at the head of Loch Linnhe.

The Great Glen follows a large geological fault known as the Great Glen Fault. It bisects the Scottish Highlands into the Grampian Mountains to the southeast and the Northwest Highlands to the northwest.

The glen is a natural travelling route in the Highlands of Scotland, which is used by both the Caledonian Canal and the A82 road, which link the city of Inverness on the northeast coast with Fort William on the west coast. The Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway was built in 1896 from the southern end of the glen to the southern end of Loch Ness, but was never extended to Inverness. The railway closed in 1947.

A recent development has been to open a long-distance route for cyclists, canoeist and walkers. Called the Great Glen Way, it links Fort William to Inverness.[1] Officially opened on 30 April 2002 by HRH The Earl of Inverness, the route is a series of footpaths, forestry tracks, canal paths and occasional stretches of road.[2] and http://www.greatglencanoetrail.info/

Its strategic importance in controlling the Highland Scottish clans, particularly around the time of the Jacobite uprisings of the 18th century, is recognised by the presence of the towns of Fort William in the south, Fort Augustus in the middle of the Glen, and Fort George, just to the north of Inverness.

Much of the glen is taken up with a series of lochs, with rivers connecting them. The Caledonian Canal also uses the lochs as part of the route, but the rivers are not navigable.

*******

Great Glen (englisch; dt. „Großes Tal“ von schottisch-gälisch gleann mòr), auch Glen More genannt, ist eine tektonische Verwerfung, die mitten durch Schottland verläuft und das schottische Hochland in die Grampian Mountains und die Northwest Highlands unterteilt. Die Verwerfung ist seismisch aktiv. Jedes Jahrhundert gibt es mehrere Erdbeben mit der Stärke 4 auf der Richterskala.

Der überwiegende Teil des Talgrundes ist von drei langgestreckten Seen bedeckt: westlich Loch Lochy, in der Mitte Loch Oich und östlich – als bekanntester schottischer See – Loch Ness. Die Wasserscheide befindet sich zwischen Loch Lochy und Loch Oich: Loch Oich mündet durch den River Oich in Loch Ness, der wiederum durch den River Ness mit der östlichen Meeresbucht Moray Firth verbunden ist. An seiner Mündung liegt Inverness, die Hauptstadt des Verwaltungsbezirks Highland. Das Wasser von Loch Lochy fließt hingegen in westlicher Richtung und mündet bei Fort William in den Meeresarm Loch Linnhe. Die Verwerfung setzt sich südwestlich nach Irland fort und folgt Lough Foyle, Donegal Bay und Galway Bay. Im irischen Kontinentalschelf bildet sie einen submarinen Canyon.

Im Great Glen verläuft der Kaledonische Kanal, der – parallel zu den Flussläufen – die Seen des Great Glen mit den angrenzenden Meeresbuchten Moray Firth und Loch Linnhe verbindet und so eine Ost-West-Schiffspassage quer durch das britische Mainland ermöglicht. Der Graben hatte für die Kontrolle der schottischen Highland-Clans eine wichtige strategische Bedeutung, zum Beispiel bei den Jakobitenaufständen im 18. Jahrhundert.

Es gab eine Reihe tektonischer Bewegungen vom mittleren Karbon bis ins frühe Tertiär. Die Blattverschiebung bewegte sich nach links und rechts und verlagerte sich über 130 km. Vertikale Bewegungen haben die Nordwestkante angehoben und erodiert. Reibung und Druck verursachten die Bildung einer 1,6 km breiten Zone aus zerrütteten Felsen. Die Great-Glen-Verwerfung wie sie heute ist schuf der Great-Glen-Gletscher, der das weiche Bruchgestein an der Verwerfung erodierte. Zurück ließ er ein steiles Trogtal.

Leanach Cottage - 01

he only surviving building after the battle was the Old Leanach Cottage which was inhabited until 1912 and then kept preserved by the Gaelic Society of Inverness. Old Leanach Cottage is now kept by the National Trust for Scotland, as is the Moor, and the Old Leanach Cottage has been refurbished to look like it would have done in the 18th century. The cottage did have surrounding barns but these were burnt down when Government redcoats found 30 wounded Jacobites seeking refuge within them. So they barricaded the barn and burnt the Jacobites alive.

******
Das einzige erhalten gebliebene Gebäude aus der Zeit der Schlacht von Culloden ist Old Leanach Cottage, das noch bis zum Jahr 1912 bewohnt war, und danach an die Gaelic Society of Inverness überging.
Heute befindet sich das Cottage ebenso wie das Schlachtfeld in Trägerschaft des National Trust for Scotland.
Beides wurde inzwischen wieder originalgetreu hergerichtet.
Im 18. Jahrhundert gab es hier zudem noch mehrere Scheunen. Diese wurden jedoch nach der Schlacht von den Rotröcken niedergebrannt, und das einschließlich der darin befindlichen 30 verwundeten Jakobiten.

Glencoe

Glencoe - 01

Glencoe - 02

Advertisements

One thought on “Scotland 2007

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s