Scotland 2011


Hill of Tarvit

Hill of Tarvit 201101

Hill of Tarvit 201102

The Hill of Tarvit is a 20th-century mansion house and gardens in Fife, Scotland. They were designed by Sir Robert Lorimer and are today owned by the National Trust for Scotland.
The house is situated on a hillside a mile and a half south of Cupar, Fife. It is set in 40 acres (160,000 m2) of garden and 279 acres (1.13 km2) of open estate. This includes woodland, parkland, farmland and open heath, with extensive views.
Between 1905 and 1906, the house and gardens were remodelled, for the Sharp family, by the renowned Scottish architect Sir Robert Lorimer incorporating French and Chippendale-style furniture, porcelain and paintings collected by F B Sharp.

MacDuff’s Castle

MacDuffs Castle 2011001

MacDuffs Castle 2011002

MacDuff’s Castle is a ruined castle near East Wemyss, in Fife, Scotland. The site is associated with the MacDuff Earls of Fife, the most powerful family in Fife in the middle ages, although nothing survives from this period. The present ruins are the remains of the home of the Wemyss family, who lived here from the 14th century, and their successors in the 16th century.

It is thought that a castle may have been built here by the MacDuff Mormaers, or Earls, of Fife in the 11th century, at the time of King Macbeth of Scotland (d. 1057). The Wemyss family, descendents of the MacDuffs, owned the property from the 14th century, and built the earliest part of the present castle. Edward I of England paid a visit here in 1304, staying with Sir Michael Wemyss. However, Wemyss later joined forces with Robert the Bruce, and Edward ordered the castle to be destroyed.[citation needed]

After the Wemyss family moved to nearby Wemyss Castle, it passed to the Livingstones, and then in 1530 it was taken over by the Colvilles who built a second tower to the south-west, and enclosed a courtyard with a gatehouse. In 1637 the castle was bought by Sir John Wemyss of West Wemyss, from Lord Colville of Culross, and in 1651 the lands of East and West Wemyss were united as a single barony

Ravenscraig Castle

Ravenscraig Castle 2011 01

Ravenscraig Castle 2011 02

Ravenscraig Castle ist eine in Ruinen liegende Burg in Kirkaldy, die um das Jahr 1460 errichten wurde.
Die Pläne für deren Bau sollen von Herny Merlion und Andres Lesouris in Zusammenarbeit mit König James II. entstanden sein.
Ravenscraig Castle gilt als eine der ersten Burgen, deren Bauweise auch Artillerie- und Kanonenfeuer Widerstand leisten konnte.
James II., der in die Erarbeitung der Pläne eingebunden war, kam ironischerweise bei einem unglückseligen Zwischenfall mit einer geladenen Kanone bei der Belagerung von Roxburgh Castle zu Tode.
Höchstwahrscheinlich wurde mit dem Bau der Burg um 1460 durch König James II. Witwe, Mary of Guelders, begonnen, die bis zum ihrem Tod im Jahr 1463 dort auch lebte, obwohl zu diesem Zeitpunkt lediglich der Ostturm vollständig errichtet war. Nach ihrem Tod ging die Eigentümerschaft an ihren Sohn James III. über.
Im Jahr 1471 übergab James III. dem Earl of Orkney und Caithness, William Sinclair, die Burg im Ausgleich zum Erhalt des Earldom of Orkney, welches James von Norwegen annektiert hatte. Die Sinclairs war auch diejenigen die die Burganlage fertig bauten.
Während der englischen Invasion von 1650/51 unter Oliver Cromwell wurde Ravenscraig Castle belagert, eingenommen und letztlich zerstört. Danach blieb Ravenscraig Castle zwar im Besitz der Sinclairs wurde von diesen aber nicht mehr bewohnt. Sie ließen in den Jahren 1755/56 auf dem Anwesen ganz in der Nähe Dysart House errichten. Erst 1896 verkaufte der 5. Earl of Rosslyn das Anwesen an den Linoluem-Hersteller Sir Michael Nairn.
Während des 1. Weltkrieges wurde Ravenscraig Castle als Munitionslager genutzt.
1929 wurden 34 Hektar des Anwesens – die Burg inbegriffen – an die Stadt Kirkcaldy übergeben, damit das Areal als öffentlicher Park angelegt und genutzt werden konnte.
Im Jahr 1955 gelangte Ravenscraig Castle in Staatshände, 1971 dann in die Hände von Historic Scotland.

******

Ravenscraig Castle is a ruined castle located in Kirkcaldy which dates from around 1460. The castle is an early example of artillery defence in Scotland. Now managed by Historic Scotland and protected by Scheduled Ancient Monument this has been recognised as a category A listed building.

The construction of Ravenscraig Castle by the mason Henry Merlion and the master carpenter Friar Andres Lesouris was ordered by King James II (reigned 1437-1460) as a home for his wife, Mary of Guelders. The castle is considered one of the first – perhaps the very first – in Scotland to be built to withstand cannon fire and provide for artillery defence. The king was involved with the planning but, ironically, was killed in a tragic accident with a loaded cannon at the Siege of Roxburgh Castle near Floors Castle in the Scottish Borders. The castle was eventually started around 1460 by his wife, Mary of Guelders, as a memorial to him and as a dower house. Mary of Guelders lived in the castle until her death in 1463, when only the east tower and the basement of the central section were built. Ownership passed to her son James III (reigned 1460-1488) but in 1471 he gave the castle to William Sinclair, Earl of Orkney and Caithness in exchange for the Earldom of Orkney and associated lands which James annexed from Norway to the Scottish Crown. After 1471 Ravenscraig was finally completed by the Sinclairs, who also had an interest in artillery fortifications.

During the 1650-51 invasion of Scotland by English forces under Oliver Cromwell, Ravenscraig was invaded, attacked and damaged. The castle remained in the ownership of the Sinclairs, who built nearby Dysart House (1755-1756) on the estate, and later passed to the Sinclair-Erskines, Earls of Rosslyn. The estate and castle remained in the family until sold in 1896, by the 5th Earl, to linoleum magnate Sir Michael Nairn.

The castle was used as an ammunition depot during the First World War. In 1929, 85 acres (34 ha) of the estate, including the castle, was given to the town of Kirkcaldy as a public park.[10] Ravenscraig Castle was passed into state care in 1955 and has been open to the public by the owners Historic Scotland since 1971. It is now managed by Historic Scotland, and is protected as a Scheduled Ancient Monument, and a category A listed building.

Aberdour Castle

Aberdour Castle 2011 01

Aberdour Castle 2011 02

Aberdour Castle is located in the village of Easter Aberdour, Fife, Scotland. Parts of the castle date from around 1200, making Aberdour one of the two oldest datable standing castles in Scotland, along with Castle Sween in Argyll, which was built at around the same time.[1]

The earliest part of the castle comprised a modest hall house, on a site overlooking the Dour Burn. Over the next 400 years, the castle was successively expanded according to contemporary architectural ideas. The hall house became a tower house in the 15th century, and was extended twice in the 16th century. The final addition was made around 1635, with refined Renaissance details, and the whole was complemented by a walled garden to the east and terraced gardens to the south. The terraces, dating from the mid-16th century, form one of the oldest gardens in Scotland,[2] and offer extensive views across the Firth of Forth to Edinburgh.

The castle is largely the creation of the Douglas Earls of Morton, who held Aberdour from the 14th century. The earls used Aberdour as a second home until 1642, when their primary residence, Dalkeith House, was sold. A fire in the late 17th century was followed by some repairs, but in 1725 the family purchased nearby Aberdour House, and the medieval castle was allowed to fall into decay. Today, only the 17th-century wing remains roofed, while the tower has mostly collapsed. Aberdour Castle is now in the care of Historic Scotland, and is open to the public all year.

******

Aberdour Castle ist eine Burg in der historischen Ortschaft Easter Aberdour in der schottischen Verwaltungseinheit (Council Area) Fife im Osten der Central Lowlands. Die um 1200 errichtete Burg ist mit dem etwa zur selben Zeit erbauten Castle Sween das älteste datierbare noch erhaltene castle in Schottland.

Im späten 12. Jahrhundert wurde mit dem Bau eines zweistöckigen Tower House durch das normannische Rittergeschlecht de Mortimer der Grundstein der heutigen Burg geschaffen. Die Mortimers waren mit vielen weiteren Landsmännern und Standesgenossen von David I. angeworben worden zur Erhöhung seiner militärischen Schlagkraft. Als vermutlich erster Bau- und Burgherr ist William de Mortimer überliefert aus den erhaltenen Dokumenten zu einem Rechtsstreit, den er 1180 mit dem Abt von Inchcolm Abbey führte. Im Verlauf des 13. Jahrhunderts verliert sich die Spur der Mortimers. 1314 übergab König Robert I. the Bruce Burg und Herrschaft an seinen verdienten Gefolgsmann Thomas Randolph, 1. Earl of Moray, von dessen zweitgeborenem Sohn John Randolph, 3. Earl of Moray sie 1342 an den mächtigen und weitverzweigten Douglas-Clan überging in Person von Sir William Douglas of Liddesdale; anderen Quellen zufolge ging sie erst im Jahre 1351 auf Sir James Douglas of Dalkeith über. Bis in das 20. Jahrhundert blieb die Burg im Familienbesitz der Douglas’, ab 1458 in Person des Earl of Morton.

Etwa ab den 1590er Jahren unter der Herrschaft von William Douglas, 6. Earl of Morton löste sie Loch Leven Castle als Stammsitz der Mortons ab. Unter seinem Enkel und Nachfolger William Douglas, 7. Earl of Morton wurde die Burg in der ersten Hälfte des 17. Jahrhunderts weitläufig um einen Flügel im Renaissance-Stil erweitert und die höchste Prachtentfaltung der Feste erreicht.

Als Robert Douglas, 12. Earl of Morton 1725 das benachbarte Aberdour House erwarb und sich dort zeitgemäßer niederließ, verfiel Aberdour Castle, endgültig jeder praktischen Bedeutung enthoben, teilweise zur Ruine.

Saint Fillans Church – Aberdour

St. Fillans Church Aberdour 01

St. Fillans Church Aberdour 02

St. Fillians Church - Aberdour 03

This church is situated in a graveyard at the end of a narrow path just outside the walled gardens of Aberdour Castle. Dating back to the early twelfth century, the church was granted to Inchcolm Abbey at its foundation in 1123. Originally a narrow rectangle, the church has been altered several times over its lifetime. The church was abandoned in 1790 because the Countess of Morton did not like the populace of Aberdour coming to worship so close to Aberdour Castle so a new church was built on the High Street (now church hall, site number: 7758). After falling into a ruinous condition, the church was restored in 1925-6. Nearby, St. Fillan’s Well, also known as the Pilgrim’s Well, was renowned for its eye healing qualities. It was situated to the south east corner of the churchyard but now lies in a private garden and is covered over and drained. In 1447 land to the north of the church was granted for the construction of a hospice, known as the Hospital of St. Martha, to accommodate the large numbers of pilgrims coming to visit the well.

*******

Die Ursprünge der Saint Fillans Church reichen bis in das Jahr 1123 zurück. Zudem ist ihre Geschichte eng mit der des benachbarten Aberdour Castle verbunden.
Das im 15. Jahrhundert angebaute südliche Seitenschiff verleiht der heutigen Kirche ihren asymetrischen Grundriss.
Weitere Anbauten erfolgten im 16. und 17. Jahrhundert. Zu einer von ihnen gehört der Glockenturm.
Im Jahr 1640 ließ der Earl of Morton, in dessen Besitz sich Aberdour Castle zu jener Zeit befand, innerhalb der Kirche eine kleine Galerie für seine Familie errichten. Sie

wurde später durch eine Orgel ersetzt.
Ende des 18. Jahrhundert verfiel die Kirche aufgrund mangelnder Nutzung und stand irgendwann ohne Dach da.
Erst im Jahr 1925 entschloss sich die Gemeinde Aberdour, die verfallenen Kirche wieder aufzubauen und aufwendig zu restaurieren.

Craigmillar Castle

Craigmillar Castle 01

Criagmillar Castle 02

Craigmillar Castle is a ruined medieval castle in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is situated 3 miles (4.8 km) south-east of the city centre, on a low hill to the south of the modern suburb of Craigmillar. It was begun in the late 14th century by the Preston family, feudal barons of Craigmillar, and extended through the 15th and 16th centuries. In 1660 the castle was sold to Sir John Gilmour, Lord President of the Court of Session, who made further alterations. The Gilmours left Craigmillar in the 18th century, and the castle fell into ruin. It is now in the care of Historic Scotland.

Craigmillar Castle is best known for its association with Mary, Queen of Scots. Following an illness after the birth of her son, the future James VI, Mary arrived at Craigmillar on 20 November 1566 to convalesce. Before she left on 7 December 1566, a pact known as the “Craigmillar Bond” was made, with or without her knowledge, to dispose of her husband Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley.

Craigmillar is one of the best-preserved medieval castles in Scotland. The central tower house, or keep, is surrounded by a 15th-century courtyard wall with “particularly fine” defensive features. Within this are additional ranges, and the whole is enclosed by an outer courtyard wall containing a chapel and a doocot.

Holyrood Palace

Holyrood Palace 2011 01

Holyrood Palace 2011 02

The Palace of Holyroodhouse (/ˈhɒlɪˌruːd/ or /ˈhoʊlɪˌruːd/[1]), commonly referred to as Holyrood Palace, is the official residence of the British monarch in Scotland. Located at the bottom of the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, at the opposite end to Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace has served as the principal residence of the Kings and Queens of Scots since the 16th century, and is a setting for state occasions and official entertaining.

Queen Elizabeth spends one week in residence at Holyrood Palace at the beginning of each summer, where she carries out a range of official engagements and ceremonies. The 16th century Historic Apartments of Mary, Queen of Scots and the State Apartments, used for official and state entertaining, are open to the public throughout the year, except when members of the Royal Family are in residence.

******

Die Ursprünge von Holyrood reichen bis in das frühe 12. Jahrhundert zurück, als im Jahr 1128 der schottische König David I. an besagter Stelle eine Augustinerabtei gründete.
Früher von Zahlungsunfähigen als Zufluchtsort genutzt, wurde das dazugehörige Gästehaus im Laufe der Zeit ausgebaut und erhielt im Jahr 1502 einen Wohnturm. Der Umbau zum Palast erfolgte durch James IV. und dessen Sohn James V.
Sein heutiges Aussehen hat Holyrood Palace seit dem 17. Jahrhundert.
Der in der Zeit von 1529 – 1532 erbaute Nordwestturm ist noch immer erhalten. Hier befanden sich die Gemächer von Maria Stuart. Sie – die berühmteste Bewohnerin des Palastes – hatte im Palast längere Zeit gelebt und in der nahe gelegenen kleinen Abtei ihren Cousin Henry, Lord of Darnley, geheiratet.
Unzählige Ereignisse haben sich in diesem altehrwürdigen Gemäuer abgespielt. Zu dessen dramatischsten die Ermordung von David Rizzio, dem italienischen Sekretär und angeblichen Geliebten Marias, gehören dürfte.
Am 9. März 1566 drang Marias Gemahl Lord Darnley mit einer Gruppe seiner Anhänger in die Privatgemächer der Königin ein. Sie ergriffen Rizzio und erstachen diesen vor den Augen von Maria Stuart. Später wurden an der Leiche mehr als 50 Messerstiche gezählt.
Nachdem James VI. (Maria Stuarts Sohn und erster König eines vereinigten Großbritanniens) den Hof nach London verlegte, wurde Holyrood Palace nur noch sehr selten als königliche Residenz genutzt.
Cromwells Soldaten fanden hier 1650 ihr Quartier.
Durch eine Unachtsamkeit kam es zum Brand, und das Gebäude fiel zu großen Teilen den Flammen zum Opfer. Erst König Charles II. begann mit der Wiederaufbau.
Das geschah in den Jahren 1671 – 1678. Die Pläne dafür stammten vom Architekten Sir William Bruce. Ausgeführt wurden die Arbeiten unter dem damaligen königlichen Baumeister Robert Mylne.
In der innerhalb des Gebäudes befindlichen Gemäldegalerie veranstaltete Charles Edward Stuart 1745 einen rauschenden Ball. Er sollte das letzte große Fest sein, denn kein Jahr später folgte die katastrophale Niederlage von Culloden.
Ausführlich beschrieben, wird diese Festivität in Sir Walter Scotts Roman „Waverly“.
Heute dient der Palace of Holyroodhosue als Residenz für die Mitglieder der königlichen Familie bei ihren Aufenthalten in Edinburgh. Es ist daher gut möglich, dass man bei einem Besuch des Palastes vor verschlossenen Türen steht.

Smailholm Tower

Smailholm Tower 2011 01

Smailhom Tower 2011 02

Smailholm Tower is a peel tower at Smailholm, around five miles (8 km) west of Kelso in the Scottish Borders. Its dramatic situation, atop a crag of Lady Hill, commands wide views over the surrounding countryside. The tower is located at grid reference NT637346, just west of Sandyknowe farm, and is now a Scheduled Ancient Monument in the care of Historic Scotland. In June 2007 it was awarded the maximum “five-star” status as a tourist attraction from VisitScotland, a rating bestowed on only eight other sites in Scotland.

Abbotsford House

Abbotsford House 2011 - 01

Abbotsford House 2011 - 02

Abbotsford House 2011 - 03

Abbotsford is a historic country house in the Scottish Borders, at the town of Galashiels, near Melrose, on the south bank of the River Tweed. It was formerly the residence of historical novelist and poet, Walter Scott (Sir Walter Scott,Bt). It is a Category A Listed Building.

******

Abbotsford ist ein historisches Haus in der Nähe von Melrose im Süden Schottlands. Es liegt am Südufer des Flusses Tweed. Erbaut wurde es für den schottischen Schriftsteller Walter Scott, der es Abbotsford nannte, weil Land und Furt (englisch ford) einst den Äbten (englisch abbots) von Melrose gehörten.

Unter Abbotsford-Stil versteht man heute geschnitzte viktorianische Eichenmöbel, die durch das Mobiliar der Bibliothek von Abbotsford populär geworden waren.

Old Kirk in Stow of Wedale

Old Kirk Stow of Wedale 01

Old Kirk Stow of Wedale 02

There has been a church at Stow since the 7th century, but the earliest example still visible today was built in the late 15th century on the site of the Church of St Mary which was consecrated on 3 November 1242. The church used today.

******

In Stow of Wedale existierte bereits seit dem 7. Jahrhundert eine kirchliche Einrichtung. Die ältesten Überreste einer noch vorhandenen Kirche stammen jedoch erst aus dem 15. Jahrhundert. Diese Kirche wurde auf den Grundmauern einer am 3. November 1242 geweihten Anlage, errichtet.

Packhorse Bridge (Stow of Wedale)

Packhorse Bridge (Stow of Wedale)

A rare example of a packhorse bridge, built in the 1650s, can be found in Stow. Stow was an important place in the woollen and agricultural industries in the 19th century.

*******

Die in Stow of Wedale noch existierende Packhorse Bridge stammt aus der Mitte des 17. Jahrhundert und war für den kleinen Ort wichtig, wurden hier doch bis in das 19. Jahrhundert hinein Wolle und andere Sachen produziert.

St. Mary’s Church (Stow of Wedale)

St. Mary's Church

There has been a church at Stow since the 7th century, but the earliest example still visible today was built in the late 15th century on the site of the Church of St Mary which was consecrated on 3 November 1242. The church used today, St Mary of Wedale, was built in 1876 and features a 140 foot high clock tower. Our Lady’s Well is situated a mile south of the village and was rebuilt in 2000.

******

An der Stelle der heutigen Kirche soll bereits im 7. Jahrhundert ein kirchliches Gebäude existiert haben. Allerdings dürfte von diesem nichts erhalten geblieben sein, denn die ältesten noch vorhandenen Teile stammen aus dem 15. Jahrhundert, und gehen auf eine Kirche zurück, die am 03. November 1242 geweiht worden war.
Die heutige Kirche, St. Mary of Wedale, wurde im Jahr 1876 errichtetet und verfügt über einen mehr als 42 Meter hohen Uhrenturm.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Scotland 2011

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s