Scotland 2009


Broughty Castle

Broughty Castle 200901

Broutghy Castle 2009 02

Broughty Castle 200903

Broughty Ferry ist heute ein Vorort am östlichen Stadtrand von Dundee in Schottland. Es liegt am Nordufer des Firth of Tay kurz vor seinem Übergang in die Nordsee.
Die Stadt nahm ihren Anfang mit der Burg Broughty Castle, die 1496 erbaut wurde und noch heute auf der kleinen in den Meeresarm hineinragenden Halbinsel steht. Der Name stammt wahrscheinlich aus dem Gälischen und heißt ursprünglich Bruach Tatha (Ufer des Tay). Der Namensteil Ferry bezieht sich auf die Funktion des Ortes als Anlegestelle für Fähren über den Firth nach Tayport am südlichen Ufer.

******

Broughty Castle is a historic castle on the banks of the river Tay in Broughty Ferry, Dundee, Scotland. It was completed around 1495, although the site was earlier fortified in 1454 when George Douglas, 4th Earl of Angus received permission to build on the site. His son Archibald Douglas, 5th Earl of Angus was coerced into ceding the castle to the crown. The main tower house forming the centre of the castle with four floors was built by Andrew, 2nd Lord Gray who was granted the castle in 1490.

St. Martin’s Kirk

St. Martins Kirk 200901

St. Martins Kirk 200902

St. Martins Kirk 200903

The ruined nave is all that remains of the early 12th century church of St Martin in the Nungait, on the fringes of Haddington.
Very few 12th century churches survive in Scotland, so St Martin’s is a rare relic of the early medieval period. St Martin’s was owned by the nunnery of St Mary, a Cistercian foundation less that a mile to the east. Protestant Reformer John Knox was born in Nungait and very probably attended St Martin’s as a child.

The roofless nave is all that remains of the church. The chancel was torn down at the Reformation, leaving only the simple rectangular structure we see now. The chancel arch in the east wall still stands, and there is a Romanesque piscina to the south of the arch, and round-headed windows and door openings.

One curious feature is a number of square holes in the walls. You would assume they are putlog holes for bracing scaffolding during construction, but Historic Scotland, who look after the site, don’t seem to be convinced. But if they aren’t meant for scaffolding, then what are they? St Martin’s is an open site, accessible at any reasonable time.

Arbroath Abbey

Arbroath Abbey 2009001

Arbroath Abbey 2009002

Arbroath Abbey 2009003

Arbroath Abbey ist eine ehemalige Abtei der Benediktiner in Arbroath in der Unitary Authority und traditionellen Grafschaft Angus an der Ostküste Schottlands.
Das Kloster wurde im Jahre 1178 auf Betreiben des schottischen Königs Wilhelm der Löwe von Benediktinermönchen aus der südschottischen Abtei Kelso gegründet und 1197 geweiht. Letzter Abt wurde 1524 Kardinal David Beaton.
Arbroath Abbey ist nationales Denkmal und wird von der staatlichen Denkmalschutzbehörde “Historic Scotland” verwaltet. Die markanten Ruinen aus rotem Sandstein können das ganze Jahr über besichtigt werden.

******
Arbroath Abbey, in the Scottish town of Arbroath, was founded in 1178 by King William the Lion for a group of Tironensian Benedictine monks from Kelso Abbey. It was consecrated in 1197 with a dedication to the deceased Saint Thomas Becket, whom the king had met at the English court. It was William’s only personal foundation — he was buried before the high altar of the church in 1214.
The last Abbot was Cardinal David Beaton, who in 1522 succeeded his uncle James to become Archbishop of St Andrews. The Abbey is cared for by Historic Scotland and is open to the public throughout the year (entrance charge). The distinctive red sandstone ruins stand at the top of the High Street in Arbroath.

Hailes Castle

Hailes Castle 2009 01

Hailes Castle 2009 02

Hailes Castle 2009 03

Hailes Castle is a mainly 14th century castle about a mile and a half south west of East Linton, East Lothian, Scotland. This castle, which has a fine riverside setting, belonged to the Hepburn family during the most important centuries of its existence. Since 1926, it has been the subject of a state-sponsored guardianship agreement, which is now under the auspices of Historic Scotland. It is open to the public without charge at all reasonable times.

******

Die in Ruinen liegende Burg gehört zu einer der ältesten Burgen Schottlands, Sie wurde am Ende des 13. Jahrhunderts von Hugo de Gourlay errichtetet und gelangte Anfang des 14. Jahrhunderts in den Besitz der Hepburns, in deren Besitz sie verblieb, bis Lord Bothwell im Jahr 1567 nach Norwegen floh.
Im Anschluss daran wechselte Hailes Castle noch dreimal den Besitzer, ehe es dann Anfang des 18. Jahrhunderts aufgegeben wurde.

Falkland Palace

Falkland Palace 2009 01

Falkland Palace 2009 02

Falkland Palace 2009 03

Falkland Palace in Falkland, Fife, Scotland, is a former royal palace of the Scottish Kings. Today it is in the care of the National Trust for Scotland, and serves as a tourist attraction.

*******

Der Palast wurde erstmalig im Jahr 1160 erwähnt, als er sich im Besitz der MacDuffs befand.
1371 fiel er in die Hände des machthungrigen Duke of Albany, der hier seinen Neffen David, den schottischen Thronerben, gefangen hielt und zu Tode hungerte.
Nach der Hinrichtung von Albanys Sohn im Jahr 1425 ging Falkland Palace in königlichen Besitz über.
Mit dem Bau der bis heute erhalten gebliebenen Burg wurde im Jahr 1437 unter der Regentschaft von James II. begonnen.
Sein heutiges Aussehen verdankt er jedoch erst James IV. und James V.
1542 und erst wenige nach der Geburt seiner Tochter Maria, verstarb hier James V.
Im Jahr 1654 zerstörten Cromwells Soldaten den Palast und ließen ihn ein als Ruine zurück. Erst 1887 wurde Falkland Palace durch den 3. Marquis of Bute wieder aufgebaut.
Ursprünglich war der Innenhof von drei Flügeln umgeben, von denen der älteste – der Nordflügel – nicht mehr erhalten ist.
Der Ostflügel wurde um 1516 errichtet. Der Südflügel entstand um 1540.
Besonders im Innenhof des Südflügels ist der Einfluss französischer Baumeister gut erkennbar, denn dieser erinnert in seinem ganzen Erscheinungsbild an die französischen Loire-Schlösser. Seine Front ist durch Stützpfeiler geteilt. Zwischen seinen Fenstern in der oberen Etage befinden sich Medaillons, die mythologische Figuren darstellen.
Der äußere Südflügel präsentiert sich in spätgotischem Stil. Sein Portal ist von zwei großen Rundtürmen eingerahmt.
Über eine Galerie aus dem 17. Jahrhundert, die mit einer Eichendecke versehen ist, gelangt man in die königliche Kapelle. Sie ist der besterhaltenste Raum im gesamten Palast.
Die Deckenbemalung der Kapelle weist die Embleme Schottlands, Frankreichs und Englands auf – Distel, Lilie und Rose.
Der im Ostflügel gelegene King’s Room ist wieder so hergerichtet wurden, wie er im 16. Jahrhundert ausgesehen hatte.

Tantallon Castle

Tantallon Castle 2009 01

Tantallon Castle 2009 02

Tantallon Castle 2009 03

Tantallon Caslte 2009 04

Tantallon Castle is a semi-ruined mid-14th-century fortress, located 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) east of North Berwick, in East Lothian, Scotland. It sits atop a promontory opposite the Bass Rock, looking out onto the Firth of Forth. The last medieval curtain wall castle to be constructed in Scotland,[1] Tantallon comprises a single wall blocking off the headland, with the other three sides naturally protected by sea cliffs.

Tantallon was built in the mid 14th century by William Douglas, 1st Earl of Douglas. It was passed to his illegitimate son, George Douglas, later created Earl of Angus, and despite several sieges, it remained the property of his descendants for much of its history. It was besieged by King James IV in 1491, and again by his successor James V in 1528, when extensive damage was done. Tantallon saw action in the First Bishops’ War in 1639, and again during Oliver Cromwell’s invasion of Scotland in 1651, when it was once more severely damaged. It was sold by the Marquis of Douglas in 1699 to Hew Dalrymple, Lord North Berwick and the ruin is today in the care of Historic Scotland.

******

Die aus rotem Sandstein erbaute Festung der Douglases beeindruckt vor allem durch ihre Lage.
Einst schloss hier ein 30 m hoher und ins Meer reichender Landvorsprung mit einer Mauer ab, und trennte die Anlage vom übrigen Festland.
Durch den gut zu verteidigenden Turm in der Mitte, und den beiden kleineren Seitentürmen, war die Burg beinahe uneinnehmbar.
Sowohl James IV. als auch James V. versuchten deren Eroberung vergeblich.
Das gelang erst dem unter Cromwell dienenden General Monk, der Tantallon Castle zwölf Tage unter Beschuss nahm und letztlich triumphierte.
Was nach Monks Bombardement zurückblieb, offenbart sich dem Besucher noch heute.
Dazu gehören die beiden Türme und die sie verbindende Wehrmauer, deren Stärke teilweise bis sechs Meter beträgt.
Im Hof der Burganlage befindet sich ein Brunnen, der mehr als 30 Meter in die Tiefe reicht.
Vom Tantallon Castle hat man einen grandiosen Ausblick auf Bass Rock – einem mehr als 100 Meter hohen Basaltfelsen, auf dem noch heute die Überreste einer kleinen Festung und deren Kapelle zu erkennen sind.

Newhailes

Newhailes 2009 01

Newhailes 2009 02

Newhailes is an astonishing relic, an apparently unrestored stately home whose surrounding parkland fills about half the open land between the built-up areas of Edinburgh and Musselburgh. Today this parkland, with its extensive views across the Forth to Fife and along the river to Aberlady Bayand Gullane, is a popular spot. But sooner or later most who visit will start to wonder about the house around which the park is wrapped.

******

Für beinahe dreihundert Jahre war Newhailes das Heim der einflussreichen Familie Dalrymple.
Ursprünglich war das Anwesen als Whitehill bekannt und wurde 1686 vom Architekten John Smith errichtet.
Smith war in jungen Jahren in Rom, um Priester zu werden und der venezianische Baustil des Architekten Palladio beeindruckte ihn derart, dass er schließlich Architekt wurde, und später den palladischen Stil über die gesamte britische Insel verbreitete. Weitere Bauten aus seiner Feder sind z.B. die Canongate Kirk in Edinburgh oder das Dalkeith House.
Im Jahre 1702 stand der bis dahin erfolgreiche Smith vor dem finanziellen Ruin und musste sein geliebtes Whitehill an Sir David Dalrymple, 1. Baron of Hailes, verkaufen. Die Summe für die Villa würde nach heutigen Maßstäben etwa 2,5 Millionen Pfund betragen – ein echtes Schnäppchen.
Sir David ist übrigens der Bruder von Sir John Dalrymple, einer sehr düsteren Person in der schottischen Geschichte, der in Verbindung mit dem Massaker im Glen Coe im Jahre 1692 gebracht wird.
Sir David hingegen lebte bis zum Kauf von Whitehill mit seiner Familie in Hailes und benannte den Bau deshalb um in Newhailes.
1997 ging das Anwesen in die Obhut des National Trust for Scotland.

Dirleton Castle

Direlton Castle 01

Direlton Castle 02

Direlton Castle 03

Dirleton Castle is a medieval fortress in the village of Dirleton, East Lothian, Scotland. It lies around 2 miles (3.2 km) west of North Berwick, and around 19 miles (31 km) east of Edinburgh. The oldest parts of the castle date to the 13th century, and it was abandoned by the end of the 17th century.

Begun in around 1240 by John De Vaux, the castle was heavily damaged during the Wars of Scottish Independence, when it was twice taken by the English. In the 14th century, Dirleton was repaired by the Haliburton family, and it was acquired by the Ruthvens in 1505. The Ruthvens were involved in several plots against Mary, Queen of Scots, and King James VI, and eventually forfeited the castle in 1600. Dirleton ceased to be a residence, although Oliver Cromwell was forced to besiege the castle to flush out a band of “mosstroopers” (marauders), during the Third English Civil War in 1650. The damaged castle was then acquired by John Nisbet, Lord Dirleton, who decided to build a new country house on the nearby Archerfield Estate. The Nisbet family of Dirleton continued to maintain the castle’s gardens, before handing Dirleton into state care in 1923. The ruins and gardens are now maintained by Historic Scotland.

Dirleton Castle stands on a rocky outcrop, at the heart of the rich agricultural lands of the former barony of Dirleton, and guards the coastal approach to Edinburgh from England, via the port of North Berwick. The ruins comprise a 13th-century keep, and a 16th-century house which the Ruthvens built adjacent. Only the basement levels survive of the 14th- and 15th-century additions built by the Haliburtons, although these comprised a large hall and tower house along the east range. Other buildings within the courtyard have also been demolished. Surrounding the castle are gardens, which may have been first laid out in the 16th century, although the present planting is largely of the 20th century. The garden walls enclose a 16th-century doocot, or pigeon house.

******

Dirleton Castle ist eine markante Sandsteinruine, die in dem kleinen Dörfchen Dirleton zu finden ist, und seit mehr als 700 Jahren auf einem Felsen thront.
Sie war einst das Zuhause der normannischen Familie de Vaux und gehört zu den frühesten Steinburgen Schottlands, da sie um 1225 entstanden ist.
Vor allem während der Schottischen Unabhängigkeitskriege wechselte Dirleton Castle unzählige Male den Besitzer.
Die Burg, deren Innenhof von einer einer hohen Ringmauer umgeben ist, war ursprünglich als Verteidigungsanlage errichtet worden.
Dirleton Castle wurde von Robert Bruce zu Beginn des 14. Jahrhunderts zerstört, damit es nicht wieder durch die Engländer eingenommen werden konnte.
Durch Heirat gelangte die Burg in den Besitz der Halyburtons, die die Anlage wieder aufbauten.
Leider ist von dem imposanten Gebäude nicht mehr allzu viel erhalten geblieben. Nur noch die großräumigen Kellergewölbe und die erste Etage vermitteln heute noch einen Eindruck davon, welch luxeriöse Festung die Familie ihr Eigen nannte.
Nachdem der letzte Lord Halyburton ohne männliche Nachkommen verstorben war, und eine seiner drei Töchter in die Familie Ruthven einheiratete, ging Dirleton Castle in deren Besitz über.
Ihrer endgültigen Zerstörung blickte die Burg im Jahr 1652 entgegen, als Cromwells Armee die Burg erstürmte und zerstörte.
1663 erwarb die die Familie Nisbet Dirleton Caste und integrierte die Burgruine in eine wunderschöne Gartenanlage, die dem Besucher noch heute zur Besichtigung offen steht.

Anchory Castle

Ayton Castle is located to the east of Ayton in the Scottish Borders. It is 9 kilometres (5.6 mi) north-west of Berwick upon Tweed, in the former county of Berwickshire. Built around a medieval tower house, the present castle dates largely from the 19th century. Ayton Castle is the caput of the feudal barony of Ayton. The castle is protected as a category A listed building, and the grounds are included in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland, the national listing of significant parks and gardens.

******

Ayton Castle ist ein aus rotem Sandstein gebautes Schloss in den schottischen Lowlands. Es liegt fünf Kilometer südwestlich des Ortes Eyemouth und elf Kilometer nördlich von Berwick-upon-Tweed in der Grafschaft Berwickshire im Verwaltungsbezirk Scottish Borders.

*******

Holyrood Palace

Queen's Gallery

Queen’s Gallery

Queen's Gallery

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s