Balvenie Castle (Scotland 2012)


Balvenie Castle is a ruined castle near Dufftown in the Moray region of Scotland.

Originally known as Mortlach, it was built in the 12th century by a branch of the powerful Comyn family (the Black Comyns) and extended and altered in the 15th and 16th centuries.

Today, the remains of the castle are managed by Historic Scotland; however, ownership continues in private hands. The current owner is Jeremy Duncan Nicholson, Baron of Balvenie, who resides in Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. The castle is open to the public from the beginning of April to the end of September. Balvenie whisky is produced by William Grant & Sons at the Balvenie distillery down the hill from the castle.

******

Balvenie Castle ist eine Burgruine am Rand von Dufftown in der Region Moray. Sie zählt zu den ältesten steinernen Burgen in Schottland.
Die Burg wurde in der zweiten Hälfte des 12. Jahrhunderts, wahrscheinlich durch William Comyn oder seinen Sohn Alexander errichtet. Aus dieser Zeit stammt noch die heute erhaltene Ringmauer. 1304 wird das „Castle of Mortlach“, eine ältere und an die benachbarte Kirchengemeinde angelehnte Bezeichnung, von König Eduard I. offiziell an John Comyn, 7. Earl of Buchan überschrieben

Advertisements

Loch Lochy (Scotland 2010)


Loch Lochy (Scottish Gaelic, Loch Lòchaidh) is a large freshwater loch in Lochaber.
Located 16 kilometres southwest of Loch Ness along the Great Glen, the loch is over 15 kilometres long. The River Lochy flows from its southwestern end while the Caledonian Canal links its northeastern extent to Loch Oich.
The Battle of the Shirts was fought at its northern end near Laggan in July 1544, between Clan Donald and Clan Fraser.

******

Loch Lochy (im schottischen Gälisch Loch Lochaidh) ist ein großer Süßwassersee in Schottland. Er ist über 16 Kilometer lang und liegt etwa 16 Kilometer südwestlich von Loch Ness im Great Glen. Der Fluss Lochy fließt südwestlich aus dem See heraus, während der Kaledonische Kanal im Nordosten den See mit Loch Oich verbindet.

Laggan Dam (Scotland 2006)


 

Loch Laggan ist ein See in Lochaber und direkt an der A86 auf der Strecke von Spean Bridge nach Kingussie zu finden. Der See wurde seit 1934 als Wasserreservoir genutzt, weswegen am River Laggan auch der Laggan Dam errichtet wurde, der dem Lochaber Hydro-Electric Scheme zugeordnet ist  Energie aus Wasserkraft produziert.

*******

Laggan Dam is a dam located on the River Spean south west of Loch Laggan in the Scottish Highlands.

 

Craigmillar Castle


Craigmillar Castle

Craigmillar Castle is a ruined medieval castle in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is situated 3 miles (4.8 km) south-east of the city centre, on a low hill to the south of the modern suburb of Craigmillar. It was begun in the late 14th century by the Preston family, feudal barons of Craigmillar, and extended through the 15th and 16th centuries. In 1660 the castle was sold to Sir John Gilmour, Lord President of the Court of Session, who made further alterations. The Gilmours left Craigmillar in the 18th century, and the castle fell into ruin. It is now in the care of Historic Scotland.

Craigmillar Castle is best known for its association with Mary, Queen of Scots. Following an illness after the birth of her son, the future James VI, Mary arrived at Craigmillar on 20 November 1566 to convalesce. Before she left on 7 December 1566, a pact known as the “Craigmillar Bond” was made, with or without her knowledge, to dispose of her husband Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley.

Craigmillar is one of the best-preserved medieval castles in Scotland. The central tower house, or keep, is surrounded by a 15th-century courtyard wall with “particularly fine” defensive features. Within this are additional ranges, and the whole is enclosed by an outer courtyard wall containing a chapel and a doocot.

Claypotts Castle


Claypotts Castle

Claypotts Castle is a late medieval castle in the suburban West Ferry area of Dundee, Scotland. It is one of the best-preserved examples of a 16th-century ‘Z-plan’ tower house in Scotland. Now surrounded by modern housing, the castle is maintained as an Ancient Monument by Historic Scotland. At present, it is open to the public on only a small number of days each year.

******

Claypotts Castle ist z-förmig angelegt und verfügt über mehrere Treppengiebel.
Die Anlage stammt aus dem späten 16. Jh.
Die seitlichen Türme sind rund und haben eckige Dächer.
In den Winkeln zwischen diesen beiden Türmen und dem Hauptturm befinden sich zwei weitere kleinere Treppentürme.
Die Räume im Inneren der runden Türme sind rechteckig.
Claypotts Castle war der Wohnsitz von Bonnie Dundee.