Callendar House


Callendar House is a mansion set within the grounds of Callendar Park in Falkirk, central Scotland. Its present form, in the style of a French Renaissance château, the French Renaissance Revival Châteauesque structure dates from the 19th century. At its core is a 14th-century tower house.

During its 600-year history, Callendar House has played host to many prominent historical figures, including Mary, Queen of Scots, Oliver Cromwell, Bonnie Prince Charlie and Queen Victoria. The current building is by far the most substantial historical building in the area, with a 300 ft (91 m) frontage. It is protected as a category A listed building, and the grounds are included in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland, the national listing of significant gardens.

******

Bereits seit Ende des 1. Jahrtausends waren die Ländereien Herrschersitz der Umgebung des heutigen Falkirks. Überreste eines hölzernen Bauwerks unweit des Antoninuswalls wurden auf das Jahre 971 datiert. Es handelte sich wahrscheinlich um die Hallen des Thanes von Callender. Gegen Ende des 14. Jahrhunderts gelangte die Baronie durch König David II. in den Besitz der Familie Livingston. Der ehemalige Herrscherbau wurde spätestens zu dieser Zeit aufgegeben und entweder noch im 14. Jahrhundert oder schon im beginnenden 15. Jahrhundert die Keimzelle des heutigen Herrenhauses errichtet. Im 15. oder 16. Jahrhundert wurde das Tower house um einen Flügel erweitert.

Königin Maria Stuart besuchte Callender House, wo auch ihre Vermählung mit Franz II. vereinbart wurde. Während des Bürgerkrieges waren Truppen auf Callendar House stationiert. Cromwell sah jedoch zunächst von einem Angriff ab und umging das Bauwerk. Nachdem verschiedene Angriffe von den stationierten Truppen auf Cromwells Armee stattgefunden hatten, ließ er die Burg schließlich belagern. Im Juli 1651 wurde die Festung schließlich gestürmt.

Der Umbau von einer Festung zu einem Herrenhaus wurde in der Mitte des 17. Jahrhunderts vorgenommen. In der Folge wurde das Gebäude mehrfach umgestaltet und erweitert. William Forbes erwarb das Anwesen im Jahre 1783. 1827, nach dem Ableben William Forbes, wurde der Innenraum von David Hamilton überarbeitet. Weitere Ergänzungen wurden 1830 geplant, jedoch nicht ausgeführt. Ein letztes Mal wurde Callender House 1877 umgestaltet, wobei es sein heutiges Aussehen erhielt. 1962 erwarb die Regierung von Falkirk das Anwesen. Sie ließ mehrere Hochhäuser unweit des Herrenhauses erbauen, pflegte das Gebäude selbst jedoch nicht. Nachdem sich sein Zustand zunehmend verschlechtert hatte, wurde es gegen Ende des 20. Jahrhunderts restauriert.

Advertisements

Craigmillar Castle


Craigmillar Castle

Craigmillar Castle is a ruined medieval castle in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is situated 3 miles (4.8 km) south-east of the city centre, on a low hill to the south of the modern suburb of Craigmillar. It was begun in the late 14th century by the Preston family, feudal barons of Craigmillar, and extended through the 15th and 16th centuries. In 1660 the castle was sold to Sir John Gilmour, Lord President of the Court of Session, who made further alterations. The Gilmours left Craigmillar in the 18th century, and the castle fell into ruin. It is now in the care of Historic Scotland.

Craigmillar Castle is best known for its association with Mary, Queen of Scots. Following an illness after the birth of her son, the future James VI, Mary arrived at Craigmillar on 20 November 1566 to convalesce. Before she left on 7 December 1566, a pact known as the “Craigmillar Bond” was made, with or without her knowledge, to dispose of her husband Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley.

Craigmillar is one of the best-preserved medieval castles in Scotland. The central tower house, or keep, is surrounded by a 15th-century courtyard wall with “particularly fine” defensive features. Within this are additional ranges, and the whole is enclosed by an outer courtyard wall containing a chapel and a doocot.

Loch Leven Castle (Scotland 2004)


Loch Leven Castle 2004 01

Loch Leven Castle 2004 02

Loch Leven Castle 2004 03

Loch Leven Castle 2004 04

Loch Leven Castle befindet sich auf einer kleinen Insel inmitten des Loch Leven.
Die Burganlage, von der heute nur noch Überreste vorhanden sind, besteht aus einem großen Turm, der im 14. Jahrhundert errichtet wurde, und von einer massiven Mauer umgeben ist.
Im Loch Leven Castles wurde Maria Stuart in der Zeit von Juni 1567 bis zum Mai 1568 gefangen gehalten.
In der kleinen Burg war es auch, wo sie am 23. Juli 1567 die erzwungene Abdankung zugunsten ihres Sohnes James unterzeichnen musste. Der wurde daraufhin umgehend als James VI. gekrönt, obwohl er zu diesem Zeitpunkt gerade ein Jahr alt war.
Die Geschichtsschreibung besagt weiterhin, dass Maria Stuart während ihres Aufenthaltes im Loch Leven Castle eine Fehlgeburt erlitten haben soll.
Aufgrund der Hilfe des Sohnes ihrer Gefängniswärterin, George Douglas, gelang es ihr im Mai 1568 zu entkommen.
George’s Page hatte alle Burgbewohner während einer Messe eingeschlossen und den Schlüssel in den See geworfen. Anschließend ruderte er die Königin an das Ufer des Sees, wo sie bereits von Lord Seton, George Douglas und einem gewissen Sir Hamilton erwartet wurde. Von diesen dreien wurde sie nach Niddry Castle geleitet.
Romantisch und total verklärt umgesetzt, wurde die dramatische Rettungsaktion in Sir Walter Scotts Roman ‚Der Abt’.

******

Loch Leven Castle is a ruined castle on an island in Loch Leven, in the Perth and Kinross local authority area of Scotland. Possibly built around 1300, the castle was the location of military action during the Wars of Scottish Independence (1296–1357). In the later part of the 14th century, the castle was granted by his uncle to William Douglas, 1st Earl of Douglas, and remained in Douglas’ hands for the next 300 years. Mary, Queen of Scots was imprisoned here in 1567–1568, and forced to abdicate as queen, before escaping with the help of her gaoler’s family. In 1588, the Queen’s gaoler inherited the title Earl of Morton, and moved away from the castle. It was bought, in 1675, by Sir William Bruce, who used the castle as a focal point in his garden; it was never again used as a residence.

Today, the remains of the castle are protected as a category A listed building, in the care of Historic Scotland. Loch Leven Castle is accessible in summer by the public via a ferry.

Craigmillar Castle (Scotland 2011)


Craigmillar Castle 01

Criagmillar Castle 02

Craigmillar Castle is a ruined medieval castle in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is situated 3 miles (4.8 km) south-east of the city centre, on a low hill to the south of the modern suburb of Craigmillar. It was begun in the late 14th century by the Preston family, feudal barons of Craigmillar, and extended through the 15th and 16th centuries. In 1660 the castle was sold to Sir John Gilmour, Lord President of the Court of Session, who made further alterations. The Gilmours left Craigmillar in the 18th century, and the castle fell into ruin. It is now in the care of Historic Scotland.

Craigmillar Castle is best known for its association with Mary, Queen of Scots. Following an illness after the birth of her son, the future James VI, Mary arrived at Craigmillar on 20 November 1566 to convalesce. Before she left on 7 December 1566, a pact known as the “Craigmillar Bond” was made, with or without her knowledge, to dispose of her husband Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley.

Craigmillar is one of the best-preserved medieval castles in Scotland. The central tower house, or keep, is surrounded by a 15th-century courtyard wall with “particularly fine” defensive features. Within this are additional ranges, and the whole is enclosed by an outer courtyard wall containing a chapel and a doocot.