Glen Lyon (2007)


Glen Lyon 200701

Glen Lyon 200702

Das Glen Lyon (gälisch Gleann Lìomhann) ist ein Tal in der Region Perth & Kinross.
Das weitgehend in West-Ost-Richtung verlaufende Tal wird vom River Lyon durchflossen, der am östlichen Talende nördlich von Kenmore in den Tay mündet. Mit über 50 Kilometern Länge ist Glen Lyon eines der längsten schottischen Bergtäler. Es weist mit dem Tal des Allt Conait lediglich ein größeres, orographisch auf der linken Talseite einmündendes Seitental auf. Die übrigen Seitentäler sind deutlich kürzer.
Auf beiden Seiten ist das Tal durch Bergketten begrenzt, die teilweise über 1000 Meter hohe Gipfel aufweisen. Insgesamt sind rund um das Tal gut ein Dutzend Gipfel als Munros eingeordnet, weitere Munros sind oberhalb von Seitentälern zu finden.

******

Glen Lyon (Scottish Gaelic: Gleann Lìomhann) is a glen in the Perth and Kinross region of Scotland. It is the longest enclosed glen in Scotland and runs for 34 miles from Loch Lyon in the west to the village of Fortingall in the east. This glen was also known as “An Crom Ghleann”, (the bent glen). The land given over to the MacGregors was Scottish Gaelic: An Tòiseachd.

Advertisements

Glen Lyon


Glen Lyon

Das Glen Lyon (gälisch Gleann Lìomhann) ist ein Tal (Glen) in den schottischen Highlands. Es liegt in der Council Area Perth and Kinross westlich von Aberfeldy.
Das weitgehend in West-Ost-Richtung verlaufende Tal wird vom River Lyon durchflossen, der am östlichen Talende nördlich von Kenmore in den Tay mündet. Mit über 50 Kilometern Länge ist Glen Lyon eines der längsten schottischen Bergtäler. Es weist mit dem Tal des Allt Conait lediglich ein größeres, orographisch auf der linken Talseite einmündendes Seitental auf. Die übrigen Seitentäler sind deutlich kürzer.
Auf beiden Seiten ist das Tal durch Bergketten begrenzt, die teilweise über 1000 Meter hohe Gipfel aufweisen. Insgesamt sind rund um das Tal gut ein Dutzend Gipfel als Munros eingeordnet, weitere Munros sind oberhalb von Seitentälern zu finden.
Glen Lyon ist nur dünn besiedelt, das Tal weist lediglich mehrere kleinere Ansiedlungen auf. Die nächsten größeren Orte am östlichen Talende sind Aberfeldy und Kenmore. Am Taleingang liegt der kleine Ort Fortingall, Parish für Glen Lyon und nach einer örtlichen Legende Geburtsort von Pontius Pilatus. Im Talverlauf folgen nach Westen die kleinen Orte Inverar, Innerwick, Bridge of Balgie, Cashlie und Pubil. Insgesamt weist das Tal etwas mehr als 100 ständige Einwohner auf. Das Talende wird seit den 1950er Jahren durch den Lubreoch Dam abgeschlossen, der Loch Lyon aufstaut. Auch im Seitental des Allt Conait liegt mit dem Loch an Daim ein Stausee.

******

Glen Lyon (Scottish Gaelic: Gleann Lìomhann) is a glen in the Perth and Kinross region of Scotland. It is the longest enclosed glen in Scotland and runs for 34 miles from Loch Lyon in the west to the village of Fortingall in the east. This glen was also known as “An Crom Ghleann”, (the bent glen). The land given over to the MacGregors was Scottish Gaelic: An Tòiseachd.

Glen Lyon


Glen Lyon

Glen Lyon (Scottish Gaelic: Gleann Lìomhann) is a glen in the Perth and Kinross region of Scotland. It is the longest enclosed glen in Scotland and runs for 34 miles from Loch Lyon in the west to the village of Fortingall in the east. This glen was also known as “An Crom Ghleann”, (the bent glen). The land given over to the MacGregors was Scottish Gaelic: An Tòiseachd.

Quite densely inhabited from prehistoric times (as many archaeological sites attest), though its present population is of modest size, the glen has been home to many families, including MacGregors, Menzies, Stewarts, Macnaughtans, MacGibbons and the Campbells of Glen Lyon. One of this family, Robert Campbell of Glenlyon (1630–1696), led the detachment of government troops responsible for the infamous Glencoe Massacre, of the MacDonalds of Glencoe in 1691. It is not, however, the home of Clan Lyon.

James MacGregor, parish priest of Fortingall in the early 16th century, compiled the Book of the Dean of Lismore, the most important surviving collection of medieval Scottish Gaelic poetry. His Chronicle, covering local events in a mixture of Scots and Latin, is also extant, and is an important historical source for the central Highlands.

Glen Lyon, also written Glenlyon, has often been described as one of the most beautiful glens in all of Scotland. It has been the home of (among others) early Christian monks (including Adomnán [locally Eonán] (died 704), Abbot of Iona and biographer of St Columba), warriors, literary figures, explorers, castles (Meggernie Castle [still inhabited] and Carnbaan [ruined]) and arguably the best cattle in Scotland.

Its history is described in Alexander Stewart’s A Highland Parish (1928), and Duncan Campbell’s The Lairds of Glenlyon (1886).

******

Glen Lyon (Scottish Gaelic: Gleann Lìomhann) is a glen in the Perth and Kinross region of Scotland. It is the longest enclosed glen in Scotland and runs for 34 miles from Loch Lyon in the west to the village of Fortingall in the east. This glen was also known as “An Crom Ghleann”, (the bent glen). The land given over to the MacGregors was Scottish Gaelic: An Tòiseachd.

Quite densely inhabited from prehistoric times (as many archaeological sites attest), though its present population is of modest size, the glen has been home to many families, including MacGregors, Menzies, Stewarts, Macnaughtans, MacGibbons and the Campbells of Glen Lyon. One of this family, Robert Campbell of Glenlyon (1630–1696), led the detachment of government troops responsible for the infamous Glencoe Massacre, of the MacDonalds of Glencoe in 1691. It is not, however, the home of Clan Lyon.

James MacGregor, parish priest of Fortingall in the early 16th century, compiled the Book of the Dean of Lismore, the most important surviving collection of medieval Scottish Gaelic poetry. His Chronicle, covering local events in a mixture of Scots and Latin, is also extant, and is an important historical source for the central Highlands.

Glen Lyon, also written Glenlyon, has often been described as one of the most beautiful glens in all of Scotland. It has been the home of (among others) early Christian monks (including Adomnán [locally Eonán] (died 704), Abbot of Iona and biographer of St Columba), warriors, literary figures, explorers, castles (Meggernie Castle [still inhabited] and Carnbaan [ruined]) and arguably the best cattle in Scotland.

Its history is described in Alexander Stewart’s A Highland Parish (1928), and Duncan Campbell’s The Lairds of Glenlyon (1886).

Das weitgehend in West-Ost-Richtung verlaufende Tal wird vom River Lyon durchflossen, der am östlichen Talende nördlich von Kenmore in den Tay mündet. Mit über 50 Kilometern Länge ist Glen Lyon eines der längsten schottischen Bergtäler. Es weist mit dem Tal des Allt Conait lediglich ein größeres, orographisch auf der linken Talseite einmündendes Seitental auf. Die übrigen Seitentäler sind deutlich kürzer.

Auf beiden Seiten ist das Tal durch Bergketten begrenzt, die teilweise über 1000 Meter hohe Gipfel aufweisen. Insgesamt sind rund um das Tal gut ein Dutzend Gipfel als Munros eingeordnet, weitere Munros sind oberhalb von Seitentälern zu finden.

Glen Lyon ist nur dünn besiedelt, das Tal weist lediglich mehrere kleinere Ansiedlungen auf. Die nächsten größeren Orte am östlichen Talende sind Aberfeldy und Kenmore. Am Taleingang liegt der kleine Ort Fortingall, Parish für Glen Lyon und nach einer örtlichen Legende Geburtsort von Pontius Pilatus. Im Talverlauf folgen nach Westen die kleinen Orte Inverar, Innerwick, Bridge of Balgie, Cashlie und Pubil. Insgesamt weist das Tal etwas mehr als 100 ständige Einwohner auf. Das Talende wird seit den 1950er Jahren durch den Lubreoch Dam abgeschlossen, der Loch Lyon aufstaut. Auch im Seitental des Allt Conait liegt mit dem Loch an Daim ein Stausee.